Clear all

Acoustic Elecric Recommendations?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. I'm looking for an acoustic electric guitar in the 200 to 400 dollar range. I'm leaning towards the high end of that range to get quality. Any recommendations?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'd go for a used $500-700 guitar; should be down in your price range.

I like Breedlove's import line, but I've seen some in stores that were horribly set up so play before you buy.

Also Seagull has some very nice models.

Used older Guild, might be hard to find. Used Takamine. Epiphone's Masterbilt line. Heck, even the better Yamaha and Alvarez guitars sound really nice.

LOTS to choose from! Go out and play a bunch, find one that sings to you.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

That is a really personal choice... there are so many in that price range. You really have to find which one you connect with, not based too much on other peoples opinions of which one is the best. It has a lot ot do with your style of playing as well.

As was suggested, I do recommend checking out Seagull... their necks are a little bit wider that normal, so you may or may not like it.

Being a fan of, and owner of an Ovation guitar, I recommend checking them out too. I have a CS257 and love it. But, a lot of people hate Ovations. Mine doesn't sound its best when unplugged, but plugged in it is absolutely fantastic - one of the best sounding guitars I have heard in its price range. Feels very much like an electric guitar - very small neck and body, low action, etc.

Go into your local music store(s) and try a bunch... don't just look at the "minimum" price tag.. try the cheap ones too... it may be perfect for you. If you shop around in person, but buy online, be sure to give the shop owners a chance to price match, or come close to online prices. Support your local dealers when you can. At least buy some strings, or stuff like that if you have used their shop to test out guitars.

If you are knowledgeable in guitars, or know someone that can help you shop then you may consider used - kijiji or craiglist for example. $400 can get you a very nice used guitar. Buyer beware of course. I have owned about 10 guitars in my life - every one of them used. I only got a bum deal once - my fault - too anxious to buy, not enough shopping around and paid near new price... but it was still a good guitar.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.

Lue42, I hear what you're saying. I just like to hear what guitars folks have had good experience with and vice versa. I'll just use it as a starting point and go from there.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Ibanez. I love mine, and the EQ/preamp device is pretty solid on it for the price range.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

We have a winner! I finally got to a Guitarcenter and got to try out some of the models I'd been looking at. Just from reading online, I had somewhat settled on a Takamine EG341. Played it a little bit and it didn't really jump out at me. The salesman recommended a Seagull Entourage and I like that one quite a bit.

But then, I played an Epiphone Masterbuilt. It wasn't quite what I was looking for aesthetically (I was looking for a black guitar), but the tone and feel really grabbed me right away. So, I went home and jumped on Ebay. I searched for some Epiphones and while watching a couple of them, realized the seller was about an hour from my house. I contacted him to see if I could do a local pickup.

This guy was the best. We met in the parking lot of a Kroger. He brought me an AJ-500ME and an AJ-500RE. He let me play both of them for about a half an hour. I finally decided to go with the rosewood back and sides. It had a little brighter tone to it than the mahogany.

Can't wait to give it a workout this weekend. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Cool; enjoy!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote