AC/DC

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Perhaps some of you remember an old post in which I said I was listening a Rolling Stones concert at home.

Today is the turn of AC/DC. They are playing in the same football stadium (Vicente Calderón). I live to 10 minutes walking so I can hear to Brian Johnson and some solos by Angus Young (as right now!).

I am not so lucky today, the wind is changing and the sound is not clear, in fact I was not able to recognize the songs. Perhaps they use less watts than the Stones.

PS. If the wind change, I will try to do some recordings!

(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

You mean there is still an AC/DC following Bon Scott's death? You're kidding me, right? :P :mrgreen:

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm sorry, I don't understand your post so well. I mean that (I hope you can read Spanish).

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

He was joking with you Nuno. :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ah, he was joking... Ok, thank you Dan.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Sorry, Nuno, it was a joke. Please accept my apologies.

There are usually two AC/DC camps: those that think AC/DC was finished in all but name when Bon Scott died and those that think the band is just as good as ever with Brian Johnson.

As an old person who grew up with AC/DC from when they were still playing at high school dances, I'm in the former group.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

King Crimson must give you fits, Bluezoldy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...There are usually two AC/DC camps: those that think AC/DC was finished in all but name when Bon Scott died and those that think the band is just as good as ever with Brian Johnson...

I'm in the Bon Scott camp. Although BnB is a fantastic LP.

Nuno, did you eer get to hear much of the concert?

BTW...I do like King Crimson these days gnease! One of my fav tunes from them is "Matte Kudasai" from the Discipline CD back in 05.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

King Crimson must give you fits, Bluezoldy.

Gnease,

I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of them before this. I had to look them up on Wikepedia.

Now I'm off to YouTube to do some listening.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

you should find some very interesting guitar (and Stick) compositions, arrangements and playing. look at old and new KC, as the line ups are different (hence my comment).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info BluezOldy. I am not a fan of AC/DC, I only have a couple of albums, 'Highway to hell' and 'Back in black', so I don't know too much about the usual comments related to the band. I guess a band that plays for almost forty years are more or less important in the music world.

The same is applicable to King Crimson. I only have 'In the Court of the Crimson King', very beautiful and very sad melodies and harmonies in that record. Probably one of my favorite albums.

Blueline! Where were you? Long time no see you! The concert finished over 12:30am (it started at 10:00pm). I guess the wind 'moved' the sound in the opposite sense. It is the stadium where all the rock band play (from Stones and Dire Straits in the late seventies/early eighties) but yesterday the sound was not good from my home.

Do you like the Back in Black then? The sound quality is very poor: http://www.box.net/shared/jsiqmj33sg

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, 25-45 years after the "Classic Rock" era, we're lucky to have any of them perform even in their partial forms. The only one I feel strongly about as far as missing original components was Van Halen. Never could latch on to the Van Hagar thing.

Bon Scott's AC/DC was on VH1-Classic a while ago. A showed call The Old Grey Whistle Test, or something like that. First footage I had ever seen of him. He was good, that's for sure. I always thought he had a slightly harder or more raw edge to him than Brian does. This showed up well in the footage.

However, Back In Black was da bomb. Hard to imagine Hard Classic Rock & Roll without that album. I remember the first time I ever heard a cut from it, but I don't rember which one it was. (Quite possibly "Hell's Bells") I got the album fairly quickly. I do remember my first listen of that album, though. One of the few albums that I've listened to on the first go around and thought was "wowed" by it from cover to cover.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always been a fan of AC/DC, whether it was Bon or BJ on vocals.

I also remember Brian in his previous incarnation, as the singer of a glam-rock band called Geordie - tried to find some old footage of them on youtube, but can't. There's some music there with pics, but no video. Shame - I thought it might be fun to watch BJ cavorting about in thigh-high silver boots and a catsuit, with long curly hair!

They weren't a bad band, actually - kind of a cross between Slade and AC/DC, looking back. Raucous, raw, loud and fun!

:D :D :D

Vic

PS - Nuno, did Atleti qualify for the Champion's League next season, or the new "Europa League?" So much going on sports-wise over here at the moment - end of the football season, a Cricket World Cup, Rugby League - I lost track of the La Liga results. I know Barca were champions (and beat Man Utd - :D :D :D :D :D ) but I'm not sure where Atleti finished.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The same is applicable to King Crimson. I only have 'In the Court of the Crimson King', very beautiful and very sad melodies and harmonies in that record. Probably one of my favorite albums.

it is beautiful. compare that to the much later Elephant Talk -- which technically may be a Belew piece (sounds like one), but is/was performed by KC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eoyyem2K8

couple things: the Chapman Stick (Tony Levin plays) is a pretty cool axe -- always wanted one of those. Belew's solo at about 3:30 is fun. probably seems routine now. but this was the 80s - note the big pink suit. he was out-Eddying EVH back then.

AC/DC: Bon Scott's story is interesting, but seems like the too-commonly tragic, getting successful, now-cleaning-it-up, whoops-I'm-dead rock story. maybe those are just the stories that seem most poignant?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

AC/DC: Bon Scott's story is interesting, but seems like the too-commonly tragic, getting successful, now-cleaning-it-up, whoops-I'm-dead rock story. maybe those are just the stories that seem most poignant?

Or maybe those are just the stories that get the most attention?

BTW, Roy, The Old Grey Whistle Test was THE music programme to watch in the UK - back in the 70's it was the only rock (as opposed to Pop) music show on the box. Introduced us Brits to bands like Skynyrd, Little Feat, The Doobies etc etc. The OGWT and John Peel just about made life bearable back then!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2