A good song for all techniques?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just a bit of a fun question really.

A few years ago I tried to learn cannon rock, but it was a bit out of my league :oops:

Anyway, I fancied my chances a bit more lately and have begun starting to give it a go.

I like it because of the range of techniques involved, it will test my legato, sweeping, tapping, alternate picking, pinch harmonics and bends and vibrato.

I don't know if I will manage it yet, maybe I will fail, but it did get me wondering......

What other songs or instrumentals are out there which are are decent but not impossible and test of a wide variety of techniques?
What songs would be good to learn as an overall test of technique?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One I use pretty often in lessons is Sweet Home Alabama - bass notes with strumming, flat picking, hammer ons, pull offs, slides, bends, power chords, shuffle - pretty much all of the basics are in there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Cliffs of Dover is awesome. It has some nasty parts (= difficult) but it's really rewarding to finally make it through those.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could try Hide Away or The Stumble - both by Freddie King.

Jessica by the Allman Brothers is another that comes to mind

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Under The Bridge - RHCP. Once you've nailed that, and people recognise what you're playing, you know you've come a long way.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote