Clear all

12-string electric

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@stargazer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been searching for a nice electric 12-string that doesn't cost the earth; it's not easy! I've been looking at one under the 'Tennessee' brand that is periodically offered on Ebay by tropicalmoonmusic.com. It's a nice-looking ES 335-type semi-accoustic but if I bought it it would mean shipping from the USA to UK. Does anybody have any knowledge of these? Are they good to play or do they just look good in the photos? Any advice would be much appreciated!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I did a google search and found a few reviews of tropicalmoonmusic. here is what I learned:
he is a seller on ebay, he asks a lot of money to ship and for insurance, ebay buyers say he is 'spotty' meaning reliability varies. someone bought an inexpensive harp/mandolin form this seller. it arived with poor packing, dispite the buyer sending thwe extra money for packing, the instrument was form the low end of China's craft tables.

sounds like you should avoid this seller.
doesn't Rickenbaker sell 12 string electrics. they probably would not be cheap, however.shipping for the states will always be an expensive process, btw. if I had to I would only buy from a reputable dealer or bigger guitar house that ships all the time.

my rtwo cents.
and good luck for your search.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi.

If you don't mind me askin'.... I was wondering why you might want a 12 string electric in the first place?

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have a Schechter 12-string electric -- and I love it. What for? To play some Beatles covers and to use in the band for a number of 12-string songs or songs where I want a lusher acoutsticy rhythm sound. (Tom Petty stuff, for example, the occasional Linda Ronstadt tune, etc).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The Eastwood 12 strings are pretty nice guitars at a great price. http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/ Over XMas I visited the head office which has a little showroom (they are a 15 minute drive from where my parents live). I tried both the Classic 12 and the Nashville 12. They both played well, felt good in the hands, and sounded nice. Out of the two I like the Classic 12 the most - it was a bit more "jangly" and had more of the classic 60's 12 string sound (Beatles, Byrds, etc.).

I haven't bought one but I thought about it. I just don't really need a 12 string - maybe in the future but not now. If I was going to buy one and didn't have to have a Rick then the Eastwood Classic 12 would be at the top of my list. It sounds comparable, is of good quality, and whole lot cheaper.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Danelectro makes a 12 string.... same look as the kind that Jimmy Page used in Zep.
Saw it on ebay for a buy it now price of $499.00 USD, new - in black or red

And this one that is purple metal flake, used - kind of dusty, for $375.00 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280329730271&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=370179450862&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D10

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Occasionally I see Rondo Music offer a 12-string version of the 335-like Agile AS-820. (I have the 6-string P-90 equipped one they occasionally offer.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

The Eastwood 12 strings are pretty nice guitars at a great price. http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/ Over XMas I visited the head office which has a little showroom (they are a 15 minute drive from where my parents live). I

I live within walking distance of Eastwood :) Georgetown?

Also, the showroom they use is at Pinecone music studio which is where I took lessons for years

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The Eastwood 12 strings are pretty nice guitars at a great price. http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/ Over XMas I visited the head office which has a little showroom (they are a 15 minute drive from where my parents live). I

I live within walking distance of Eastwood :) Georgetown?
My parents live in Caledon East - they moved there after they retired. I grew up in Bramalea (now a part of Brampton). It's probably 30 minutes drive for most people but my old man still drives fast even though he's 70 plus. :shock:

I now live in Silicon Valley, California. It certainly is a small world though.
Also, the showroom they use is at Pinecone music studio which is where I took lessons for years

I used the "Player's Lounge" and I sat on that couch in the photo below (that's NOT me in the picture). I got to play anything I wanted and use the vintage amps as I wanted. I spent about about an hour playing the guitars before those with me got too hungry and wanted to go for lunch. IIRC the guy I dealt with was Mike - I don't remember but I have his business card at home (I'm at work). He was very helpful and friendly. There were guys just across from me setting up the guitars - I guess they were ones that just came in from the factory in Korea or China.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

The guy setting guitars up, did he have long light brown hair? Shoulder length?

If so, that's my guitar teacher. He works there too.

Mike is the owner/president of Eastwood Guitars :)

On a side note, I have an Eastwood Corona (SG style) and it really is a well made instrument.

Edit: I just noticed it's the one I'm playing in my avatar picture :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The guy setting guitars up, did he have long light brown hair? Shoulder length?

If so, that's my guitar teacher. He works there too.

Sorry, I didn't really look at them too closely. There were 3 or 4 workstations and a couple of guys setting the guitars up.
Mike is the owner/president of Eastwood Guitars :)

I checked the business card and it was actually Peter that I dealt with.
On a side note, I have an Eastwood Corona (SG style) and it really is a well made instrument.

Edit: I just noticed it's the one I'm playing in my avatar picture :)

To bring it sort of back on topic, I agree. Those Eastwood guitars were all really nice. Every one that I tried seemed to be of good quality. Unfortunately, none for me for now - I'm already spending any "brownie points" that I've earned at home on other things (guitar camp and a digital recorder). :)

ReplyQuote