Skip to content
Join The Virtual Ba...

Notifications
Clear all

Join The Virtual Band (Recreational Chemistry)

44 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
20.7 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

On the covers. Joe Hempel made a CD recently and he also included covers. I don't remember if he had to solve some copyright issues. We could ask him.

Anyway, only originals is good for me! In fact probably it will be more fun to me and surely it will be more creative (thing that I love you).

Posted : 08/08/2010 10:19 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

He broke it down in a thread someplace, the costs and efforts. It did not seem at the time to be prohibitive.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 08/08/2010 1:45 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

If you're going to take nominations, I'd like to suggest/nominate one of Alan Green's submissions to SSG.
Point of Exit
I asked him to put it back up on his website.
It's the last (16th) song on the list http://www.reverbnation.com/alangreen#/artist/artist_songs/146438

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42959 is the thread regarding the lyrics.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/08/2010 8:14 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Glad to have you aboard John! I think it will be an interesting project.

Vic, I will always agree with playing originals. The reason I mentioned doing covers is so that everyone would at least have a point of reference for tempo and rhythm. Since we would not be selling this CD, would we need to get involved with licensing? (I don't mind doing all orginals whatsoever!)

So far, here's who we have on the project:

Matt
Nuno
Vic
JW Martin
John -Celt
Roy (if we could pressure him into it)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 08/08/2010 10:47 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Yea, I like the idea of just doing originals from GN members. Or, perhaps we could do a couple of covers to get our workflow down and then go all originals.

-Jeff (it always weirds me out to see myself called JW :D )

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 09/08/2010 12:19 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, I like the idea of just doing originals from GN members. Or, perhaps we could do a couple of covers to get our workflow down and then go all originals.

-Jeff (it always weirds me out to see myself called JW :D )

Sounds like a good idea. Sorry- I'll stop calling you that.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 09/08/2010 11:59 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

OK fellas,
I"ve traded some PMs with Jeff (JW) and John. In my discussion with John he thought it would be good to start off with a song that he recorded which was written by Vic. I've listened to it and think it has great potential. Next steps:

1- Write down the chord progressions and distribute it.
2- Group shouldd listen to the song and come up with ideas on how/what to contribute.

Based on the 2 times I've listened to the song, I've heard room for back up vocals, and additional instraments like:
bass (naturally), keyboard/synth and maybe some strings. But would like to get Vic's input on his vision of the song first.

I will be contacting you with how we will be managing the file sharing. JW came up with a great suggestion and we will bne using his solution! Please PM me your email addresses so I can arrange for communications and a potential conference call.

Matt

Posted : 16/08/2010 10:48 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK - which song? I have all the chord progressions to ALL my songs stored on my personal hard drive - or as I call it, the surviving brain cell. I'm fairly sure I can tab it out....but....gimme a clue here, OK?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/08/2010 11:52 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'll set up the basecamp site tonight, but I noticed something w/ the other one I'm using. It limits the shared documents to 2. Not too big of a deal, we can still use the to-do lists and message board, and store the lyrics/chords in the shared document. I'll just need a list of emails for everyone.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 17/08/2010 1:21 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Vic, he sent me a link to the song "Time Again". Sorry, I just realized I did not mention the name.

Jeff, that's cool. Let's get that set up. I'll gather everyone's email address and send out a distribution list to you.

Posted : 17/08/2010 1:42 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Time Again, huh? I went off that song as soon as Dylan Barrett pointed out the resemblance to "More Than A Feeling" - don't think I've played it since! But........should be easy to find some different chords, although I think I played the D Cadd9 and G chords with an open top E string (which'd make the G chord a G6 chord....)

My vision of the song.....originally, I envisaged it with a 12-string for the fingerpicked guitar, but strumming during the choruses, electric guitar fairly minimal with a solo at the end of the second chorus, a bit more active in the choruses, and an organ filling out the chords, maybe in the intro. Bass and drums - well, I haven't really thought much about them, but the bass line shouldn't be too hard....chords are basically D C G and A. Drums should be fairly minimal at first, kicking in at the first chorus.

Now then - I'm going to be pretty busy the next few days. My Marilyn was taken in hospital today with Pneumonia and stage 2 respiratory failure - she's pretty ill, but the doctor's hopeful of a full recovery. As long as she quits smoking, which means I've got to quit too, but that's unimportant right now. What it means in real terms is I'm going to be backwards and forwards to the hospital for at least the next few days, so I really don't think I'll have an awful lot of time to spare.

Matt, I think you've got my e-mail address? I only use the Yahoo address for YIM.....the hotmail address is the one I use for correspondence and MSN messenger.

I'll know more tomorrow after the consultant's seen Marilyn in the AM....

:D :D :D (those are chin-up-and-keep-smiling smileys under the circumstances....)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/08/2010 11:10 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Crap, Vic. I hate to hear that. My best to her and yourself. Quitting smoking sucks big time, but when you gotta, you gotta. Kind of makes it easier when you ain't got no choice. All my best. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/08/2010 12:42 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic hoping everything goes well.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 18/08/2010 2:28 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic hoping everything goes well.

Well, apart from Marilyn - who's a bit better - everything, today, went just as badly as bad can possibly be. Like I just said somewhere else, the last straw just broke this camel's back....so tomorrow, I'm moving. Don't know where, don't know how, but I have got to get out of here.

Back as soon as possible.........

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Vic

Posted : 18/08/2010 10:19 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Take Care Vic,

Sounds like a lot of stress

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 19/08/2010 12:33 am