[Sticky] Jam Incubator--What to Submit to the Host

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

NOTE: Could a mod please STICKY this for us? Thank you!

When it comes time for you Jam Incubator jammers to submit your mp3's (no hurry - take as much time as you like to practice and record), here is what we need. Please look at Step 3b carefully, that seems to be where the confusion is happening.

[These are the instructions given to me (Thanks, Dan T!) when I participated in a jam. They worked great.]

Open Audacity.

1) Import the backing track (BT) into Audacity by selecting "Project - Import Audio"

2) Recording your part -- Click on the actual track, several seconds before your designated segment begins (this will put a little line on the track, and when you hit "Record" or "Play" the track will start from that point where the line is, and you'll have a few seconds lead-in to get ready to jam.)

You can then record your part, and click "Stop" after you've finished your part.

Listen to your part--if you don't like it - go to "Edit - Undo Record", and then try again. If you are happy with your part and want to save it, go to Step 3.

3)
a)
Saving entire BT with your part -- Go to "Edit - Preferences" [NOTE: on some versions of Audacity, it is "File - Preferences"] click "Quality" tab - make sure this setting is at 44100Hz & 32-bit, then click "File Formats" tab - set bit rate to 64. Click "OK". Go to "File - Export as MP3" - and save it to your documents or desktop (make sure you know where you saved it to).

b) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, AS THIS IS WHAT WILL END UP IN THE MIX: Saving just your part, with just a bit of the beginning of the BT for easy editing: Go to "Edit - Preferences" [NOTE: on some versions of Audacity, it is "File - Preferences"] - click "Quality" tab - make sure this setting is at 44100Hz and 32-bit, then click "File Formats" tab - set bit rate to 128 (note this is diff than in step 3a). Click "OK".

Click and hold on the very beginning of the BT, and drag to the right just a little and then let go. Click "Play" (you should hear just the very beginning of the BT, and then it stops.) Go to - "Edit - Trim" - the entire BT should be erased except for the little bit that you selected at the beginning, and your part is the only other thing left. Go to "File - Export as MP3" - and save it to your documents or desktop (make sure you know where you saved it to).

4) Send two separate emails to the host (Margaret's note--my email address will be provided to participants by PM--let me know when you are ready for the addy), with one mp3 of each of your parts saved above attached. (Two separate emails to make sure the attachments aren't too big to pass through).

If you have any questions or problems with this, post your questions on this thread and we'll call in the Big Dogs. :lol:

Good Luck and Happy Jamming!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 09/01/2007 5:19 am
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hi Guys,

A recording question.

I am using audaxity and after performing step 3(b), the length of the song has decreased.
The BT is around 3 mins and 14 secs long, however after step 3(b), the mp3 is now 2 mins and 49 seconds.
Is this expected or did I manage to screw something up?

Thx,
vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

Posted : 10/01/2007 1:41 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi Guys,

A recording question.

I am using audaxity and after performing step 3(b), the length of the song has decreased.
The BT is around 3 mins and 14 secs long, however after step 3(b), the mp3 is now 2 mins and 49 seconds.
Is this expected or did I manage to screw something up?

Thx,
vic
Hmm, that really shouldn't happen.

As a note to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this....GoodVicHunting does have the last segment of the song (2:24 to 3:11), so it shouldn't be a matter of him having cut off (hitting the Stop button) after recording his segment.

Margaret

Posted : 10/01/2007 1:51 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Listen to it and see if it is complete.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:13 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it can happen. I had this problem many times but can't quite seem to remember how to fix it. If you want you can send the track you got from 3a together with just your recording to theband.levity AT gmail DOT com and I'll create the 3b mix for you.

For those who haven't begun recording yet: make sure you set your project to the correct settings (read Margaret's post) BEFORE starting to record. Doing it later can result in problems like this and can cause loss of quality.

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:26 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Listen to it and see if it is complete.
The version Vic is having the problem with is the one with the front-end snippet, then silence up until his solo.

Margaret

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:29 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I wouldn't worry about the size of the file. If you have his complete part you can still align it by comparing it to his part with the BT. You should be covered either way unless the file won't load into your mixing program.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 10/01/2007 2:36 am
 etm
(@etm)
Estimable Member