Clear all

[Sticky] Your first gig - tell us!

97 Posts
53 Users
0 Likes
87.6 K Views
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Yea, drums are too loud. It was recorded on my Zoom H2 from the audience in a less than perfect spot. We couldn't hear the house mix while we were playing, only what she put in our monitors. You're kind of at their mercy on sound. I was just happy everyone could hear our singer. All the other bands had their vocals right at that point where you could hear them, but couldn't understand any of the lyrics.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 19/06/2009 11:00 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Let's revive this one as it's been awhile...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 01/02/2013 7:25 pm
(@claire771)

My first guitar gig was crazy. It was in a really bad part of town and I was worried about my kids the whole time because I stupidly brought them along.

Posted : 23/11/2015 6:08 am
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My first gig was a long time ago, so forgive me if I don't remember the band name and some other details.

At the time, I was playing saxophone in the junior high school band doing classical music for youngsters. After school I got together with a drummer, couple of guitarists and a bassist and we started a rock and roll band. We were terrible, but so was everybody else back then.

After some practice time and after we learned a number of song we got a gig playing for a junior high school dance held in the gym.

So there I was on the stage with my buddies, playing all the songs we loved and worked so hard on, and to my surprise, that cute girl who wouldn't acknowledge my existence in English class was 'making eyes' at me! And at the end of the night they actually paid me money!!!

I knew that's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. My two favorite things, music and females, and money which is necessary for life.

Last year I played my high school's 50th reunion. Between then and now I've warmed up for major stars in concert, backed up a few others, almost got famous myself, and played in just about every venue a musician can, from dive bars to cruise ships and 5 star hotels.

Other than 2 'day jobs' I had while seeing how the rest of the world lives, I've been lucky enough to make my living doing music and nothing but music -- and I don't plan on retiring.

If you make a living doing what you would do for free, you will never work a day in your life - and other than those 2 day gigs, I've never worked a day in my life.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 23/11/2015 2:49 pm
(@hocdan)

Wes, I'm laughing too hard at your tragedies. ;D I can't wait to be in a band to experience those hilarious moments. When I'm praticing with friends in a band they all pretty much know their songs. I really notice if I hit a wrong chord or bad fingering. It stands out to me like black on white.

Posted : 15/06/2017 8:28 am
(@liteemariee)

I'd been playing (bass) for less than 6 months.  My wife (she's one of the writers of "The Other Side" department here) and I had made the trip to Chicago specifically for the Jam, and we finally got to meet (in person) the wonderful folks we knew only online (/me waves at Hodge and the Lasleys) at Hodge's place on Friday night.

Posted : 13/01/2022 8:31 am
(@liteemariee)

I'm praticing with friends in a band they all pretty much know their songs. I really notice if I hit a wrong chord or bad fingering. It stands out to me like black on white.

teatv.ltd

hellodear.in

Posted : 18/01/2022 3:29 am
Page 7 / 7