Wow

32 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

That's all I can say after our practice last night. I have an erlier thread about possible band II starting and yesterday had to be one of the best musical moments of my short career inmusic if you can call it that.

I had mentioned after our original guitar player died the 3 of us that were left kind of took a break and didn't play much the drummer went onto another band for about 6-8 months and I just pretty much played by myself if at all.

The drummer ended up quitting the other band and we started practicing together and I put an add in Craigslist for a lead guitar player. We met and played with him a couple weeks ago and played maybe 15 songs that night and it rocked this guy is awesome, but at the time I really didn't know how awesome. Well I mentioned it to my instructor and he knew the guy, he actually taught him back in the late 80's early 90's and he tells me Dave's good he's a pro.

So after the first night which went well (we didn't look or sound like a bunch of lamo's) I wasn't sure if he would ever get back in touch since I know he's at another level than us. Make a long story short he did and he said he was interested in playing and wanted a list of our songs( we have 40 or so) so he could work on them. he does have another band he was trying to get going but that's all good we are only looking to get a 1 - 2 a month anyway.

So with the common song list which he liked we all talked about tgetting out there ASAP nd try to get some gigs. We do have a few local places were we can get some gigs pretty much when we want and that interests him.

So on a whim I put an add on Craigslist for a singer and got several responses 2 of which were very interested and we were going to set up and audition etc.

Well we had the first guy come over last night and WOW it was freaki awesome. He was singing in a Journey Tribute band and had some vids posted and the boy can definitely sing so we picked about 5-6 songs that he was familiar.

We spent some time talking and getting to know each other. I still didn't know much about the other guitar player since we only actually met him that one time. Come to find out he had arecoding contract with a label back in the mid - 90's but got into a bad car accident and he couldn't play for a few years and that kind of ended that. So I'm thinking holy smokes this guy is really a pro.

The singer has toured Europe for several years doing Hair so he has some serious credentials too and went to school for music art etc. Ends up he taught at the same Gifted Arts School my oldest daughter now teaches at.

So we played a few classic rock songs Sunshine, Born to be wild, White Room and Use Somebody by Kings of leon to start and it was freakin incredible.

With this guy singing and Dave on lead and the 3 of us slugs holding down the rhythm it had to be the best musical experience I've had since I started all this. This guy can sing I mean sing and Dave can do anything on the guitar I'm still on a bit of a high from it.

My two daughters came by the one that teaches who also sings and she ended up singing some harmony with him on Sunshine and even that sounded freakin awsome. My daughter (not to brag) can really sing she sang all through High School in and always was one of the only ones to do solo's at the year end concerts and yesterday she really got into it and it sounded fantastic.

I'm so used to hearing one of us non-singer's sing, then to finally hear people that really know how to do it makes me never want to ever even try again saying we aren't int he same league is a gross under statement we aren't even in the same universe as those two.

So as usual this isn't locked up yet but I think everyone got a great vibe and there is definitely potential. the singer has a couple other auditions with a blues/funk band and he said he might do the Journey thiung as an acoustic show, but I told him atthis point we can get enough material quickly and we can get out there without infringing on what the other two guys are doing with their other bands.

All I can say it is it was the best night of playing I've had with other people.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 13/05/2011 11:19 am
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats C. Glad it has worked out for you, though your road was a bit bumpy! Now you've got forward momentum - go get those gigs!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 13/05/2011 12:12 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Wow! that is fantastic, all the pieces are slotting together for you :D :D

Wish you lots of luck, it also sounds like you are going to have a ball!

Posted : 13/05/2011 4:57 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats great Chris! Go get em!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 13/05/2011 5:11 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Nothing better than good harmonies.

Posted : 13/05/2011 6:02 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

That is great Chris!! Its been a long road for you to get up and running and I am glad things seem to look so good now. I really hope this comes off for you and we get some gig reviews or videos in the not too distant future :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 13/05/2011 7:40 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wow, indeed! Looks like all that hard work's finally reaping some rewards - I think it's great that five people can actually agree on which songs to play!

Keep pushing Chris, and I hope - like Al said - to see some gig reviews in the news, complete with video clips!

Keep rockin' mate!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/05/2011 11:57 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats pretty awesome!!!! You know the best thing..... I bet this makes the rest of you dig deep and realy progress as musicans also!!! And you know... you hammer yourself... but you have real pros that are willing to come along for the ride... you guys gotta be doing SOMETHING right!!

Paul B

Posted : 14/05/2011 10:05 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

excellent news Chris. my band is looking for some heavyweights such as yours. in the mean time us lamos are still banging away on our song list.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 14/05/2011 1:15 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Great news and I agree that you must be doing something right. You may not have the experience of the new guys, but they wouldn't be hanging out with the rest of you if weren't really good.

Renee

Posted : 14/05/2011 1:41 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Congrats on finding some good guys to play with. Hope it all works out, sounds like they are interested!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 14/05/2011 6:50 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a lot of fun. It's always an amazing experience to play with good players.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 14/05/2011 10:05 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Fantastic stuff Chris. It was a delight to read the report, so I can only imagine what a blast it must have been to be part of it.

Onwards and upwards... :)

Chris

Posted : 15/05/2011 6:02 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome news. Really awesome. I remember the struggles of the past few years. You must be feeling really great right now. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/05/2011 1:58 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This has nothing to do with the band situation but I thought I'd write this as it puts everything in perspective.

Ok I had to write this because I have now been slapped back to rea;ity and realize how suxy I really am. LAst night my instructors kids band (15,16) were opening up for some jam band at a local bar. These kids have gotten alot of exposure lately winnng a battle of the bands (vs adults) and getting some local TV time.

The 16 yo is the lead guitarist and the 15 yo is the drummer. They have a bass player 17 who does all the singing.

These kids are freaking phenomenal, I'm at a loss for words as to how good they all are.

The bass player sings all the songs and kills the bass he's an awesome player and at 17 is very comfotable and can work a crowd.

The drummer who's only 15 sings a few songs and backup vocals. This kid is amazing on drums he had a couple drum solo's and man he can drum.

The guitar player is 16 and he can do everything really, really good. Since this is a power trio he has to carry the sound on his own and man he is great at it.

These kids played about 10-12 originals and all were so good I was just blown away. They have everything, dynamics , they are really tight, the tone of guitar and everyone is an excellent player.

That was just a total crush to what little ego I had. Unless something drastic happens to these kids I can't imagine them not getting a record deal at some point. They are one of the best local bands I've ever seen in my life.

They play rock and want to do all originals but they don't have enough original material so they mix in some covers, like
Pink Floyd's Money, Revolution, some Zep, Killers, RHCP and everyone was spot on great.

And these kids are sitting in their rooms playing their instruments 24/7 they play sports etc and actually take this whole thing kind of casually. I did ask my instructor the other day if the guitar player still took lessons from him and he said no he's a "punk" (in a good way) and doesn't have time.

So mthe next time I go see my instructor I'm either going to ask him if his son will give me lesons(hopefully at a lower rate) or else tell him it's time to give up this futile journey.

Had to share that story it was very humbling, not that I ever thought I was any good but this confirmed it in spades and reality sux.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/05/2011 2:15 pm
Page 1 / 3