Where Did The Guitar Tabs Go?

214 Posts
56 Users
0 Likes
62.4 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Song by song basis? :shock:

Sheesh! Talk about a process that will probably never be the say any two times. I guess we should be tipping our collective caps to the R.E.M. camp for being the first ones? It does not surprise me at all. I must say I was bummed a bit when I read in the band profile on GN that they broke up in September. These things do happen. I'm glad I've purchased my share of their albums and even 2-3 song books over the years. Nice to know they cared enough about our little niche here to allow their work to be exposed and used. 8) 8)

So, just curious. I don't expect anything negative to be said or even want it to be said, but I am curious about who was really digging having their music be the subject of beginner or otherwise aspiring guitarists' lessons? I won't ask who wasn't. No bridge burning. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 04/11/2011 2:34 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, I too realize it's a little bit at a time here not a blanket release of all music, but still amazing the work that is being done to acomplish this.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 04/11/2011 2:44 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

Just to clarify a bit. We've licensed the rights to a bunch of songs so we have enough to keep us going for awhile. We'll be rolling out an improved older lesson or something completely new about once a month. We can keep adding songs to list of ones we already have but we're not getting anything for free. So it will take us a bit longer to add new lessons. However, I do think we're on the right track and the most difficult work is already behind us.

We've got one publisher on board who will grant us a license for the songs that they can. And we're still trying to get more publishers involved. There could be more changes down the line as new deals develop. Right now I'm excited about all the lessons we have in the pipeline.

We deliberately chose to start things off with R.E.M. because of their recent break up. Of course, the deal we made was in the works a long time before anyone knew they were calling it quits. Given the popularity of these lessons it's possible we'll try and get some more R.E.M. songs down the road.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 04/11/2011 3:10 pm
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a great idea to release one song per month as a lesson. That gives enough time for us "students" to really learn one piece really well before moving on to the next one!

Sound like GN is back in full effect, and that makes my life a lot more fun! :D

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

Posted : 13/11/2011 12:15 pm
Page 15 / 15