Clear all

Where Did The Guitar Tabs Go?

214 Posts
56 Users
0 Likes
62.4 K Views
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

I'm working really hard to bring the tabs back. In fact, it's something I'm working on every day.

It's still too early to announce anything, but it's possible you may see some of them again this year.

:D That´s great news - hope everything works out well! And thank you all for all the effort you put into this! I´ll check into Facebook for future updates.

Best Regards,
/Staffan

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

Posted : 24/09/2010 11:30 am
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

I saved a whole bunch of the GN lessons in Word format (to print off for my own personal use) before they were all taken off. Happy to email these to fellow GN members (although I wouldn't want to get GN into trouble...)

I would really like to get some of those copies, Orion... That is - like you said - if it doesn´t get GN in trouble of course!

- Which songs/lessons do you have?

I´m especially interested in the Dire Straits lesson... think it was Walk of Life? I was just learning that one when the tabs got pulled :cry:

If no objections come from GN-admin, then my e-mail is: [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

Posted : 24/09/2010 11:35 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In related news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101101/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_techbit_guitar_tabs

Posted : 01/11/2010 6:34 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

From that story: "It takes two or three musicians about five days to get each new song right. "

That's unbelievable, and its either hype (to convey what a great value they provide), or the musicians they have doing the transcriptions don't have very good ears.

I've done takedown work - it should take about 15 minutes for each minute of recorded music to transcribe something complicated (I'm talking a single instrument line transcription, like the tab they're selling). Easy stuff should take about half that time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 01/11/2010 7:03 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

it should take about 15 minutes for each minute of recorded music to transcribe something complicated (I'm talking a single instrument line transcription, like the tab they're selling).

Now that is impressive. Wish I could do that.

Posted : 01/11/2010 9:02 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Closer to the end of it...

Posted : 01/11/2010 11:25 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would have to agree with Note. I can't do it but my instructor can and it's relatively the amount of time Note mentioned. Some simple songs we can do in a half hour and that's 3 or so mins of music. Some of the more complicated ones may take an hour but many times I have more than one instrument tabbed up.

So 3-5 musicians taking 5 days for a song is way to long...they must be in a union. :lol:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/11/2010 11:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So 3-5 musicians taking 5 days for a song is way to long...they must be in a union.
I was thinking that perhaps they were process intensive. One guy does a version, another marks it up. After that, it goes up the ladders, down and back up the same ladders, etc. Then there's approval protocol, source control management and may even some kind of code reviews that us programmer types have been threatened with for our entire careers. It could take 5 days for a piece of music to go through a system that includes 4 musicians looking at it. The same group of people could also handle maybe XX many more pieces of music during the same week. These partial truths laid upon us can be interestingly misleading.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/11/2010 12:20 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Who cares how long it takes them if they're selling them for only 99c? I just checked one I was interested in; it's 9 pages, with the guitar tab and the vocal melody line. To quote Mr. Townshend, 'I call that a bargain!'

Now, if they'd put the bass line in there too, it would be a steal at that price.

And I'd gladly pay a buck or two per GN lesson, if that's what it takes to get things rolling again. There are some real gems that I'd like to revisit.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 02/11/2010 12:28 pm
 moon
(@moon)

I have just gotten a bass and I think one of the best things that has happened is running into this site - It has been extreamly informative and instructional - I don't want/need the taps to go out playing the different songs posted as teaching aids - I want to use them to practice where my fingers go on the guitar - I have a home recording area in my house and would like to learn enough to add some live bass to my original material - As said this site is a gold mind to discover the wonders of playing the bass guitar and understanding why the instrument does what it does - To be honest it has helped my guitar playing as well - I hope the tabs come back to help with the different styles those songs offer - Thank You for supplying this free lesson site because of this teaching I know I am going to sign into lessons from my local music business -
BE

Posted : 20/11/2010 4:27 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

From that story: "It takes two or three musicians about five days to get each new song right. "

That's unbelievable, and its either hype (to convey what a great value they provide), or the musicians they have doing the transcriptions don't have very good ears.

I've done takedown work - it should take about 15 minutes for each minute of recorded music to transcribe something complicated (I'm talking a single instrument line transcription, like the tab they're selling). Easy stuff should take about half that time.
And I'd toss onto that that popular music is almost never particularly complicated.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 22/11/2010 3:01 pm
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'm off in the the middle of places where sheet music is hard to come by, so of the current set list I'm playing, I've had to take it ALL down by ear.

We're sort of classic rock with indie/alternative thrown in. No song has taken me three days to get down. (and I have no team of musicians!)

sounds like hype to me,

Ande

(But who cares at 99 cents a tab?)

Posted : 22/11/2010 10:41 pm
(@sthomas1228)

Any updates on the tabs? I've been to a lot of sites that supply tabs if you pay a premium membership. I'm not sure where this sits with the lawsuit (if that is permissible). I do like the tabs that I found on this site and would pay a premium if I could use them. These tabs were a delightful rearrangement of some popular songs I would like to learn. So any updates?

Posted : 10/12/2010 3:39 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

We're in discussions with the publishers. Hopefully we'll be able to make some sort of announcement before the end of the year.

The rights to the songs we want to use are spread across different publishers meaning we need to negotiate different deals with the different players.

Our plan is to bring the tabs back for free. We will pay the publishers either through advances or revenue sharing from the ads we display. It's all rather complicated but at least we're not going to court or being sued.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:22 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just want to comment on the amazing job you do to make this such a great site! I'm proud to be a member.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:35 am
Page 11 / 15