What's wrong with drummers?

49 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
16.1 K Views
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I just started a band and I am currently looking for my first drummer.  I know these people are a strange species.  I have heard many horror stories.  Please share you experiences and let me know what I am in for.  Don't hold back, I want to know the truth about drummers.  Don't be shy.  Lay it on me.  Thanks.

Posted : 07/05/2003 3:52 pm
(@davidhodge)

This may start things out with a bit of a letdown, but I've had pretty much nothing but good experiences with drummers - male, female, whatever. In fact in some of the bands I've played in, the drummers were the most reliable members of the band.

I guess you could just say that "drummers are people too."

Peace

Posted : 07/05/2003 4:13 pm
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I only want to hear the bad stuff.   ;)

Posted : 07/05/2003 4:26 pm
(@preston)
Trusted Member

I only want to hear the bad stuff.   ;)

Okay. LOL :D
I'm with dhodge on this one. Perhaps we've just been lucky?

#1 : Drummers have TOO much equipment, and always want you to help them move it.

#2 : Drummers are Carnivores. They look at a Veggie Pizza with suspicion.

#3 : Drummers won't teach you to twirl a stick. It's a 'Trade Secret'. :-X Ask your cousin, the Majorette, instead.

#4 : Drummers are show-offs. If you sit behind thier rig and play a little easy thing, they insist on showing you "how it's done", even if all you wanted to do was make some noise.

#5 : Drummers drive big Dodge vans with bad fuel-economy. That eats into the profits of a band playing small gigs.

Hmmmm... I guess Drummers aren't that bad after-all.
Somewhere on the 'net, right now, Drummers are asking, "What's wrong with guitar players?".

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

Posted : 10/05/2003 4:11 pm
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

Honstly i enjoy listing to a good drum player more than a good guitar player.

Never turn your back on friends.

Posted : 10/05/2003 8:01 pm
(@preston)
Trusted Member

>:( Samer! Just whos side are you on, anyway?  >:(

;D

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

Posted : 11/05/2003 5:12 am
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

I just love when the drum player is in charge and all you can hear is fast drums over chords changes. Listin to the band mayhem or spawn of possesion and you will see drumming out of this world.

Posted : 11/05/2003 7:54 am
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

I have cooperated with way too many drummers, and as a bassist I think I can tell the difference between a good one and a bad one.
There are not too many drummers around, so that leaves with even a fewer drummers that are worth playing with. Strangely though, most drummers I have met are/were good ones. The ratio is 4 good drummers and one bad.
The worse drummer I have ever worked with started out as a guitarist and later switched to the drums because he wanted to bang rather than stroke (hehe). Well, he just banged the sh*t out of the drums, completely unaware that there was rythm to the song. But ok, that's just one drummer.
The best drummer I cooperated with is a guy who started out banging on saucepans and pots with forks and spoons when he was 5 or 6 or something. He later studied some books on rythm and the drums generally and is now an accomplished jazz drummer. Unfortunately he is studying in England, so we can't jam any more. There were other good drummers too, fast, ponctual, mellow when it had to be so, and most of all cooperative.
Don't be afraid. Drummers are musicians too. And they are a bit mistreated too. When you jam with your band, the drummer is the person who knows nothing about the song, nobody gives him a hint as to what he should play. He has to figure it out on his own. The bassist has a few more elements to work with. The guitarist has all he needs, and because of that, often thinks that the drummer must play up to that level. I have to tell you that is a very hard thing to do.

Cheers:)

Johann Sebastian Bass

Posted : 11/05/2003 5:52 pm
(@Anonymous)

I like them all  :)

Posted : 14/05/2003 7:48 pm
(@mancunian_john)

Haha,

Just reading this post made me laugh.

I know a few drummers (my 14yo son is also a drummer) and I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with them, they're just a bit different!

I once heard a comedian (Billy Connelly I think) say you could always spot the crazy kid at school because he was either a drummer or a goalkeeper (my lil' un does both which is slightly worrying).

My experience with drummers has always been great, they always have the most gear (as was previously pointed out), they have the shortest attention span, and the highest tolerance to alcohol! Oh and they're usually forgetful.

The drummer I know best never misses rehearsal, ever! usually 'cos he bums off work and spends all day in the rehearsal room alternating between, sleeping, practising and leathering out backing drums to Who CDs.
He also loves music and has spent hours helping my son with his drums.

I used to think the short attention span was a genetic disorder all drummers had, but it isn't. I looked at some of the stuff lil'un was learning, that 'papadiddle' malarkey that drummers use. I even tried to play some of it. No Chance.

Drummers don't have short attention spans or any other problem. It's just that 99.9% of their brain capacity is either occupied or been turned to mush trying to comprehend and retain that stuff.

Try patting you head and rubbing your belly at the same time.

Then try keeping separate beats on each foot and alternating your hands between your head and your belly. You'll be about a tenth of the way to understanding what drummers go through.

All that being said I still think most drummers are completely nuts!

John

Posted : 20/05/2003 3:08 pm
(@jherr5150)

Joke: What do you call a guy that hangs out with musicians?  The drummer...........

Posted : 22/05/2003 3:13 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

The drummers I've met don't hear to well (imagine why?) but I have to say I'm always drawn to the drums in songs or live.  What else do you have to tap your foot to?  The drummer is laying out the beat for all other musicians to follow.  That is a tough task I'd say.  I secretly whine about chord shapes and how hard they are but doing what a drummer does for a band seems so much more difficult.  Just an opinion.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 23/05/2003 12:05 am
(@mancunian_john)

Hi all,

As an additional thought, whatever happened to the drum solo. I remember in the dim and distant past loadsa bands used to slope off stage and have a quick drink at the bar whilst the poor drummer got on with an audacious solo.

I hadn't heard a solo for ages and I saw a band in Manchester recently who threw one in. The audience were a bir...errrm........younger than myself and were pretty much stunned as they hadn't seen/heard a drum solo before.

My personal opinion is that the a good drum solo adds a v.cool bit of interest to a set, yet they don't seem to have been around for ages. Anybody heard any good solos recently or have an opinion on it?

I think the best solo I ever heard was on a KISS track, can't remember which track tho (a version of 'Black Diamond' I think)!

Posted : 23/05/2003 12:25 am
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

Hi all,

As an additional thought, whatever happened to the drum solo. I remember in the dim and distant past loadsa bands used to slope off stage and have a quick drink at the bar whilst the poor drummer got on with an audacious solo.

I hadn't heard a solo for ages and I saw a band in Manchester recently who threw one in. The audience were a bir...errrm........younger than myself and were pretty much stunned as they hadn't seen/heard a drum solo before.

My personal opinion is that the a good drum solo adds a v.cool bit of interest to a set, yet they don't seem to have been around for ages. Anybody heard any good solos recently or have an opinion on it?

I think the best solo I ever heard was on a KISS track, can't remember which track tho (a version of 'Black Diamond' I think)!

There are still drum solos, you just have to know what to listin to. Check out the band Nile they have alot of drum solos.

Posted : 23/05/2003 5:53 am
(@crkhobbit)

I saw Godsmack a few years ago, I think '99.  Their singer has been a drummer forever and instead of a drum 'solo' they had an extra kit set up for him and had an awesome drum duo with the regular drummer.  It was very cool!

Posted : 24/05/2003 12:32 pm
Page 1 / 4