Clear all

Voice control

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I guess this would go under performance....

I've been working a lot on my voice lately, and everytime I play an open mic or gig, I feel like I sound ok thruogh the monitors and people tell me I sound good. But, when I record and critique myself on the computer using one of those computer mikes, I cringe. Could it be the mike, since it may not pick up all the high and low end, is the problem? Or the acoustics of the room? It's hard to build confindence if you think you suck half the time..... ::)

Also, when I practice, I sing and play with a little bit of power behind it, and gain a pretty good balance between the instrument and my voice, but when I step in front of a mike, I feel like I hardly have to make any effort for the vocals to sound fine, but it doesn't have the edgy sound I'm trying to get. What I'm asking is, how do I find a good balance between vocal volume and tone in relation to the guitar when I play live?

Thanks for your help!
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

Posted : 30/03/2004 9:06 pm
(@Anonymous)

Most computer mics arn't much better than 2 tin cans with string tied to them. If you are serious about recording on the computer you will have to get some kind of processer unit that will hook up through usb port.

As to your second question...Play and sing the same as you do when you practice, sing like your in the shower and no one else is home, that is what the volume control is for. If you don't have control over the volume try backing up from the mic a little. Transfer your power from practice to the stage, make adjustments to the equipment. Then maybe you'll get what your looking for in your performance.

All this from a guy that can't sing a lick...lol...but I do watch a lot of live performances.

Posted : 13/04/2004 3:29 pm
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply, glad someone responded!

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

Posted : 13/04/2004 5:48 pm
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

I get this feeling too... no effort behind a mic... but it sound different...
I will simply practice BEHIND a MIC... and try to get that sound... try attaching a mic to your guitar amp... its fun!

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

Posted : 14/04/2004 12:25 am