Skip to content
Third time lucky? U...

Notifications
Clear all

Third time lucky? UK Get-together? 2008?

150 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Naah, the chance to able to sit on a train and do nothing but listen to music for a few hours straight is always welcome. Then gain, it's probably cheaper to fly Southampton-Manchester/Liverpool, and flying would be reason enough in itself :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 16/11/2007 9:25 am
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

I've only just read this thread as I normally just look at the Songwriting forum.

I'd be happy to attend and Birmingham is fine my me. I'd probably not participate much as I'm an electro-acoustic player and not into Blues (I'll get my coat), but it would be nice to meet fellow forum peeps.

In terms of a venue there is a very good bar called the Tower Of Song near Kings Norton, Brum http://www.myspace.com/towerofsongcafebar run by a good musician called Tom Martin. I think he'd be up for it. They are not usually open in the day but who knows.... they have a PA plus some decent backline.

Alternatively, if a different venue is chosen I can supply a small 300w, 9 channel PA for vocals, electro acoustics and keyboards. I use it for open mike sessions I host occasionally and that includes jazz and rock bands who use their own backline.

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

Posted : 24/11/2007 9:10 pm
(@alangreen)

Can we avoid the weekend of June 7th. I've got Foo Fighters tix

Soz

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/11/2007 9:18 pm
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Hey guys,

I'm a Londoner myself so I'm incredibly dissappointed that I have to pay a premium price on everything to be at the centre of everything and then I find out I'm going to have to be travelling quite a way! Assuming we could get a couple of people together I'm sure it wouldn't be a dull trip though.

I'm not on the certain list but I'm definitely interested. I might be one of the youngest there (18?), but that shouldn't be a problem.

What I don't get is how you can perform a jam session with anymore than say 3-4-5 guitarists? If alot of people come, then how does it all work? Do people just fight there way into being heard? Do people work in groups whilst the others assume the positions next to the taps? etc.

* As for those of you who aren't sure whether you;re good enough. I feel it's crucial to mention that a whole year early on will change how you can play/sound immensely. So there's plenty of time to improve! Besides we're all still learning. That said, playing with people who are better than you I guarantee you will make you better/give you something to take away from the session. No-ones going to laugh or get frustrated, I'm sure. And if you're smart enough you can always "knock back" those shots of water whilst the rest of us have a beery haze. :)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 06/12/2007 11:10 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What I don't get is how you can perform a jam session with anymore than say 3-4-5 guitarists? If alot of people come, then how does it all work? Do people just fight there way into being heard? Do people work in groups whilst the others assume the positions next to the taps? etc.
All of the above are good, turns on 12 bar blues is always good (and quite in keeping with GN collabs), groups are good, random calls of "anyone know song X?" is good, PMing "Lets learn song X for the meet" is good, calls of "chords are C, G, F and Am - join in" are good, writing a song on the spot with other people is good etc. A little of each would be great :mrgreen:

Posted : 06/12/2007 11:47 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So - there are two options on the table.

ONE - The Kirkfield Hotel, in Newton-le-Willows, as suggested by me.

Plus points - the hotel has a function room available, which can cater for weddings etc, so everything would all be in the one place. (As a small but vital added plus point, seeing as how it wouldn't cost me anything for travel/accomodation, I'd be willing to fork out for the hire of the function room.)

Minus points - it's a bit out-of-the-way, but it is very easy to get to. We'd all have to lug our own gear - but again, that shouldn't be a problem, we'd just have to make sure we'd have enough equipment to actually put a jam band together.

TWO - The Tower Of Song cafe bar, as suggested by Raystrack.

Plus points - it's in Birmingham, so it's pretty central for everyone. The venue has its own equipment, though I'm guessing we'd still need amps for electric guitars and bass? And if this is going to last the weekend, how would they feel about us taking over for the saturday?

Minus points - Accomodation. We'd have to find a B&B or two in a close location to the venue.

Please discuss!

As to the actual playing - well, I'd suggest we all make a list of songs we'd like to do. Shouldn't be too hard to pick a few songs you know well, and anyone wants to join in, they can always learn the chords. Like Misanthrope said, blues jams are good....anyone can play three chords, and join in with a solo - or not, if they don't feel confident.

So anyone got any further thoughts on the subject? It's been awfully quiet lately! Can we have a show of hands to see who's still interested?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/12/2007 12:35 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Well, pay no attention to my input on venue until I'm a definate, but I would have thought all-in-one-place would be a bigger advantage than easy-to-get-to. You've only got to get there once, but once you're there you won't want to have to leave ;)

Gear might be a bugger, anywhere near that does PA hire? Maybe we need a good idea of who would want to bring what to start us off. I'd bring a leccy guitar and my Zoom pedal rather than my e-acoustic I think, but no chance of me lugging an amp halfway up the country :) The zoom plays nicely through a PA and doesn't kill vocals, and I'm happy for anyone else to use my stuff if they want to bring an acoustic but still play leccy too. Or vice versa if someone else feels the same, I could bring my acoustic 12er - always good to have one of those around - but it'd severely limit what I could play without borrowing another guitar and it's got no electrics at all, it'd have to be miked. All said and done I'd rather bring the leccy & pedal, but I'll go by what other people are bringing.

...and forking out for function-room hire is no small thing at all, top geezer (as I'm lead to believe they say in your neck of the woods ;))

Posted : 06/12/2007 2:34 pm
(@alangreen)

Still interested - venue not important, I'll go with consensus

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 06/12/2007 4:36 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gear might be a bugger, anywhere near that does PA hire?

If we're talking the Newton-le-Willows venue, Raystrack might be persuaded (bribed?) to bring his PA - see post up above somewhere.....if not, I think I know someone who can help at small cost. If Birmingham, PA's covered....

Either venue, I'd probably take my electric and 30W cube amp, possibly acoustic....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/12/2007 5:22 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

I'm still interested. My vote would be for a venue with 'built in' accommodation.
Looking round my studio (Err, spare bedroom) I could bring 6 and 12 string acoustics, an electric 6er and bass (Amps too)
Hey, for a man of very little talent I seem to have lots of guitars :roll:
I could also bring a pocket 4 track recorder.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 06/12/2007 6:21 pm
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

The Newton option is probably better since Vic knows the people and I'm only assuming Tom will be happy to let his venue be used (I haven't asked yet).

It goes without saying that I'm happy to share whatever equipment I have. It's not powerful but I use it for front-line on open mikes in a noisy pub.

If Brum is considered, two or three are welcome to 'crash' for nothing at mine but it will be a sleeping bag on the floor or sofa bed job as I only have a 2 bed place and one of those is taken up with recording equipment and guitars (as you do :wink: ).

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

Posted : 06/12/2007 6:26 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Still interested - venue not important, I'll go with consensus
+1

What are 50 or 100 km more? :D

Posted : 07/12/2007 9:36 am
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

As far as I'm concerned, Vic's place is going to be hard to beat. It's twice as far for me but the advantages outweigh everything else. Potential problems with separate venues and B&B's are parking, travelling between them, where to put your gear while your waiting to get booked in to the hotel, where to put the gear when we are done for the night, getting cabs if you've been drinking etc etc.

Vics place, all I have to do is get there and have a good time. :)

Posted : 10/12/2007 11:01 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

I've been keeping an eye on this topic because I would have liked to come, but I'll probably be busy having a baby when this all takes place, so it'll have to be without me (unless, of course, one of you is qualified to perform a neat c -section on me in-between pints, but let's face it, that's highly unlikely).

Hope you have fun!

Posted : 19/12/2007 7:22 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Congrats! :mrgreen:

The date's pretty open still though, isn't it? (Summer, but not the weekend of June 7th is all I can see with a quick scan back through)

Posted : 19/12/2007 7:57 pm
Page 3 / 10