Just thought I'd check in....

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's been a while since I've looked through the forums. It's been a pretty bad 18 months or so since Marilyn died, but my daughter gave me a pretty severe talking to the other day - something along the lines of, "Dad, you need to stop wasting away and start living again." Quite forcefully, as a matter of fact, and we both ended up crying - me because she was right, and her because, as she said, "I shouldn't have to be the parent here, laying down the law, but I'm not going to stand by and watch you fade away."

She was pretty much spot on - last 18 months or so, I haven't really bothered with anything. Especially musically, which has always been pretty much a top priority with me, whether listening or playing. Oh, I've had spells where I've played the guitar for a few minutes here and there, but it's been pretty much neglected for the most part. I'm down to just one guitar - and I've just realised, with horror, I haven't changed the strings on that for at least 18 months! Not that it's seen much action - and by the way, for anyone who's interested, it's the old Squier Tele I bought back in 2005. Good old workhorse, that guitar. Light strings, slightly raised action, perfect for rhythm guitar or slide.

I also realised I hadn't written anything for a while. Musically, I mean. While I was never the most prolific writer, I did used to get about 20-30 songs a year out of the Sunday Songwriters Group assignments. I looked at the forum earlier, and it's year 12. Where did Year 11 go? It just passed me by. Completely. In the blink of an eye. (Little in-joke there, hope some of you spotted it!)

So, time to start over again, I think. Won't be the first time I've picked myself up off the floor - no stranger to the divorce courts. But I think losing the person I've spent fourteen years with...some good times, some bad times, but the last few years we were closer than ever....really did knock the stuffing out of me. I need to put some weight on (Kayleigh wasn't kidding about the fading away, I've lost about 25 pounds, and I was always pretty slim anyway....) and I need to find some enjoyment in, and from, life again. I think music might be the therapy I need there.

So, time to change those strings.....time to put in some serious practise. I played for an hour or so earlier, was pleasantly surprised how it all came back fairly easily. Time to start writing again. Time to start LIVING again, I think!

I'd just like to say a special thanks to a couple of GN friends who have comforted me through what's been a pretty horrible time - namely, Elecktrablue and Shady Wilbury - via facebook.

Now, where did I put that tab for "Perfect Day?" Might as well start with a cheerful little ditty....and a couple of tricky chord changes to boot. Might as well get staright back in at the deep end....

Thanks for reading, see you round the forums, all the very best.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/11/2013 12:02 am
(@alangreen)

Mornin' Vic. Welcome back mate.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 04/11/2013 6:16 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds like a great plan Vic you've get to get your self back up and in the game or all you'll do is go crazy. I've had some similar issues the past couple years and really have kind of kept to myself during this time, the only thing I've really done is stay with the band that helps a bit.

But in June of 2011 my wife decided to move back down south and we ended up getting divorced. It wasn't a financial disaster (although it wasn't free either) and we are still amicable but it kind of took the wind out of my sails and I have had little desire to be out and about much anymore.

Then my job got outsourced to India and I was let go Aug 1st of this year. The next day I went back to play basketball with some of my ex coworkers and woke up in the hospital...why..I had a freakin heart attack and flat lined. Luckily they had a defibrillator there and they shocked me back to life. I never felt a thing before or after. I don't smoke, drink very little, didn't have high cholesterol, not over weight and I am active yet I still had blockages in my arteries.

I guess it's part of my genes to be predisposed to CAD. I would have thought I'd be the last person to have a HA.

Listen to your daughter my friend she is wise. I know you miss Marilyn and you always will but you can't let that keep you from living I'm sure she wouldn't want to see you like this.

You have to keep your mind busy I know you are a prolific reader and I'm sure that helps keep your mind of this and music will to. Find a way to get out more with friends or family and start living again you deserve it.

Good luck bud!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/11/2013 2:04 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Welcome back Vic :D

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 04/11/2013 11:49 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Welcome back. Sounds like your making those first steps. As was already said. Get back to living. remember the good times, forget the bad, and go out into the world.

Paul B

Posted : 05/11/2013 3:16 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome back, Vic. Keep playing. Liverpool and Atlético are in the second position. Good news.

Chris, I didn't know about your heart attack! Take care.

Posted : 14/11/2013 6:24 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Thanks Nuno, surprisingly all is well, actually never had a symptom and tom this day I don't feel any different.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 14/11/2013 9:57 pm
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Welcome back VIc.

And I should add, Welcome back Chris too.

Glad you both are on the mend.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 15/11/2013 3:02 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks Nuno, surprisingly all is well, actually never had a symptom and tom this day I don't feel any different.

Same here, Chris. Glad you survived!!

Vic, I can't say I've been in your shoes so I can't begin to imagine what you have been through. As most people say, you just have to take it one day at a time. Wishing you all the best!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 24/11/2013 6:08 pm
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

I am also just checking in, in response to your FB post.....I haven't played in months, even before that not seriously for ages. I just picked up an acoustic and my fingers hurt after 5 mins :oops: . I'm surrounded by encouragement and inspiration (the MD/owner of the company I work for is a keen and good player, he can find the time! also one of the workshop guys is essentially a pro guitarist who is working with us as his lecturing post at LIPA was axed-he is a phenomenal player) but cannot seem to get going myself. I also now live close to Vic AND Apache (we have played together in the past). You would think I would be full of enthusiasm.....

While in no means as hard as Vic's tribulations, things have been upside down and unsettled recently, until this year-job instability and stress, living in London and travelling up and down the country etc. I keep looking at my Gordon Smith and wishing I could do it justice.

* edit. was it REALLY 2006 when I joined GN? *

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 30/12/2013 5:54 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Darth, we have GOT to jam soon.....right?
:-) :) :)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 30/12/2013 8:00 pm
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Hello all. Hope Christmas treated you well. Been more than a little while.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 31/12/2013 12:06 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Darth, we have GOT to jam soon.....right?
:-) :) :)

Vic
I think that could happen, Vic.....

Just had the old GS out of its case and plugged into the little blackstar. They still make a great noise together....though it was more noise than music, tried a bit of foo fighters (everlong/best of you), Greenday (welcome to paradise), AC/DC (highway to hell) and some E/A/B bluesy funky syncopated improv with some 7ths/9ths etc. Long way off from my 'best' but was FUN. I need structure and purpose though, so will appraoch our resident musician at work for advice/lessons. He did a blues gig with my GS and loved it (in his words 'it sings' through a tweed amp). So maybe I can come back from the brink?

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 31/12/2013 3:00 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I've not been around, or played for a while to, due to life issues.

But after seeings Vic's post on FB, and Darth's I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

its nice to see so many familiar names too :-)

Posted : 01/01/2014 10:14 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Still playing as much as ever. Mostly playing my Gibsons lately. (I have four of them now) Nothing fancy mind you. A Les Paul Studio, a Les Paul Special, Les Paul Junior Special and an SGJ. Those who aren't playing, that is fine, but pick it up once in a while. Give it a go. :)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 01/01/2014 2:29 pm
Page 1 / 2