Clear all

iTunes killing music industry?

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'd add- I don't think the I-pod, or any one thing, is the problem. But I'm sometimes sad about the changing role of music in the world. As it becomes something we consume, not create (at least as this transition is nearly exclusive) it actually reduces the enjoyment available.

When I play acoustic guitar to sing along...I sort of stink. It's not what I practice the most. It's not what I love the most.

I'm sometimes embarassed to play in public with my first-world friends. Because once the MP3s and the CDs have taken over, your competition is Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Andrés Segovia...and you lose.

100 years ago, nobody really heard the greats, other than in concerts. So if you wanted music in your life, you had to join a choir, buy a kazoo, or put your lips together and blow!

I know it's not all black and white. I agree that music consumption has it's place. And I'm glad I can listen to SRV and Jeff Healey, neither of whom are with us now.

But it seems sad that consuming music, for most people, has completely replaced any other involvement in it.

Best,
Ande

PS- IN the interest of full disclosure: I do not have an ipod, but have bought a few as presents. My wife loves hers, and it's a nifty little device. Not the problem. But when listening to digital, perfect music replaces listening to live music with all the mistakes left in, it's a sad thing for humanity. And for many, that has already happened.

Posted : 19/03/2011 10:39 pm
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I'd add- I don't think the I-pod, or any one thing, is the problem. But I'm sometimes sad about the changing role of music in the world. As it becomes something we consume, not create (at least as this transition is nearly exclusive) it actually reduces the enjoyment available.

When I play acoustic guitar to sing along...I sort of stink. It's not what I practice the most. It's not what I love the most.

I'm sometimes embarassed to play in public with my first-world friends. Because once the MP3s and the CDs have taken over, your competition is Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Andrés Segovia...and you lose.

100 years ago, nobody really heard the greats, other than in concerts. So if you wanted music in your life, you had to join a choir, buy a kazoo, or put your lips together and blow!

I know it's not all black and white. I agree that music consumption has it's place. And I'm glad I can listen to SRV and Jeff Healey, neither of whom are with us now.

But it seems sad that consuming music, for most people, has completely replaced any other involvement in it.

Best,
Ande

PS- IN the interest of full disclosure: I do not have an ipod, but have bought a few as presents. My wife loves hers, and it's a nifty little device. Not the problem. But when listening to digital, perfect music replaces listening to live music with all the mistakes left in, it's a sad thing for humanity. And for many, that has already happened.
And the funny thing is, the music I enjoy listening to most, is usually live recordings. So maybe I'm trying to get the best of both worlds there :lol:

But I do think that you have a point about no longer needing to just be "good enough" to enjoy music with your friends. It's a mindset I am overcoming, slowly.

(Oh, I own an ipod. It is a sanity saver for me at work when I need to keep the inane prattle around me blocked out. :lol: )

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

Posted : 20/03/2011 8:32 am
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I don't have an Ipod (don't care for itunes as a machine interface) but I do have a rather similar piece of gear that lets me drop and drag stuff. It really helps pass the long journeys!

At the end of the day, though, singing with strangers (still an option in some remote parts of the world) beats it hands down.

That said, a lot of you probably don't want to get caught in the seat next to me on my next transatlantic flight... :oops:

Ande

Posted : 21/03/2011 10:55 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Good thread! So...when did John Bon Jovi become an old curmudgeon? I think the future of the music business is going to be groups of self promoting musicians like Pomplamoose A.K.A. Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn. They record and make the video in their home studio. They post the songs on You Tube and sell mp3s on i-tunes. LOOK MOM----no record company :idea: They also get a share of the advertising from you-tube. (they tend to get millions of views for many of the songs they do) They just bought a new house and home studeo. They get to keep most of the profit also :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMCNmUaGko&feature=relmfu
And yes, My teenage nieces and nephews know all about these guys

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 25/03/2011 2:20 pm
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

I don't know Smokingdog. Bon Jovi's "Shot Through The Heart" video from the 80's seems a whole lot more fun.

Posted : 25/03/2011 3:36 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I looked Pomplamoose when they did the Hundyai commercials during the holidays I thought the girl had a nice voice.

But the world is changing and unfortunately becoming harder to control the market like music execs used too.

In the "old" days I'm sure record company's had the clout to make things happen since owning your own studio or recording software was almost unheard of and promoting/marketing and distribution where things that an individual artist just wouldn't have the resources to do on their own and of course seel their souls and all rights away to the record companies.

Now with recording software affordable to just about anyone and being able to record studio quality CD's in your own home and with the Internet and Youtube a lot of what they brought to the table isn't needed.

I feel bad for them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 25/03/2011 4:13 pm
Page 2 / 2