Clear all

hi all!!

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Haven't posted in a long while but still read the forum weekly.

Im just posting because I have an audition tomorrow for a new band, and im nervous.

They play acoustic mainly and im almost exclusively electric. However, I do feel our personalities gel.

The last two years have seen little guitar action from me, maybe an hour or two a week, but im back with avengeance now!!

Anyway, my question, how long does it take to adapt to acoustic lead guitar, from being an electric player? Might I be out my depth? Heck, I dont even own an electric acoustic yet :-(

I perhaps should have thought this through more :$

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 28/05/2015 9:03 pm
(@alangreen)

String bends are tougher to achieve, and you have to push down a bit harder for barre chords, but once you get used to your hand being tired you'll be fine. Acoustic guitars are great for slide work

What I do with my own acoustic students is add back all those harmonies you lose playing powerchords on an electric - so the Alien Ant Farm cover of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal uses Am G and F instead of A5, G5 and F5.

You'll love it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 29/05/2015 6:31 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hello Sir! :D

They are different instruments to me. They are different styles, too. To me it's easier to play acoustic stuff with an electric than the opposite. I guess it depends on the way you play. I agree with Alan, I tend to "slide" rather than "bend" (mainly by the string gauge or material).

Anyway, good luck and tell us!

Posted : 29/05/2015 2:23 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys :-)

The audition is in a couple of hours. I have never auditioned for a band before, so I suppose ill find out how I compare to the other guitarists out there :-S

Ill let you know how I get on, but confident I am not :-)

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 29/05/2015 3:15 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well, it turns out tonight was more of an "interview" to make sure our personalities matched.

Im back midweek for a full on rehearsal :-)

I have songs to learn, including horse with no name. Im off now to look at Mr Hodges lesson on that :-)

Posted : 29/05/2015 7:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome back, Al, and hope you gel with the new band.

Personally, I never had much trouble switching between electric and acoustic - not that I was ever that good, but I always had equal practice time on each. Plus, I always used the same gauge strings on electric and acoustics - 9's. Seemed to help. I would suggest light strings - the lightest you're comfortable with, with a plain - not wound - G string if you're going to be playing a lot of lead. And of course, when you get an acoustic with a p/u, make sure it's got a cutaway!

All the best, mate, and if you're ever round Newton-le-Willows or St Helens, let me know!

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/05/2015 11:15 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi Vic!!! Thanks for the reply, and its good to talk to you again!!

Well, I rehearsed last night, and made the cut :D

They are a very cool set of guys, all in their 50's or more, who have been in bands for decades. The idea is to take classic songs and completely rearrange them in our own way. Lots of opportunity to be creative :D

Posted : 04/06/2015 5:22 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It sounds pretty good! Keep us informed.

Posted : 09/06/2015 2:13 pm