Clear all

Gig Alert!!!!

27 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Next month (either the 26th or 27th I'm hoping, will find out for sure in the next couple days) I will be playing solo guitar at the Borders Books and Music in Mason OH. It's about a one hour set. Can you say nervous???? I'm working on my set list now to start practicing through them, I'll post it when I have something more concrete!

It gives me the opportunity to sell my Cd, possibly get it in their stores and maybe get some exposure.

I'm excited, nervous, and kind of lost. I don't want to completely embarrass my self. LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/02/2010 4:59 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, I bet you'll do a wonderful job. Do we say "break a leg", or is that a theater kind of thing?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/02/2010 8:31 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Roy! I've got about a month to get my act together, the only problem is I can't memorize an hour worth of fingerstyle stuff...so I'm going to have a lot of sheet music with me. We'll see, maybe if I just keep playing this stuff over and over for the next month, I will memorize it.

Posted : 24/02/2010 9:39 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Remembering that amount seems like a daunting task. How many song is that? (or are getting fancy now and doing passages of songs or melodies of a collection, etc)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/02/2010 11:14 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I've got about 15 songs I can play with some profeciency and about 7 or 8 more that just need a bit of work. But the problem is, some of them are only around 1:30, which is the delimma I'm facing. I'm going to play it by ear when I get there as far as whats going to be played towards the end. But I'm thinking that I need to start looking at the lengthier songs that aren't as tough to play for filler instead.

Posted : 24/02/2010 12:59 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

1:30 is right down my alley. Problem is, you're 1:30 of fingerpicking is like me remembering about 1/2 dozen strummy songs.

Tell me, is it not so much solid fingrpicking that you need to remember, or repeating patterns? I do hardly any of it, so I don't know. The one I do, do, is Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, and that's a series of patterns. I didn't remember 3 minutes of picking, I remembered one line of picking and kept at it.

Roy

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:17 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The fingerstyle is kind of like remembering an intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and outro.

Since you have the melody and harmony all built into one it's always in a changing state, unless it's repeated. Some of the songs I've got don't repeat, or have different nuionces <sp?> throughout so it's not all the same. Especially if there is a key change.

Whereas when I'm just fingerpicking a song I'm just playing the harmony or music or whatever you want to call it. The singer sings the melody.

Hope this made things about as clear as mud. :roll:

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:31 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

well, from my dimly remembered years as a bass player in a C&W, 50's & 60's wedding band 1:30 is a bit short. You might want to use an old dance band trick and throw in a little instrumental verse or bridge and then repeat the chorus to add some length. Not knowing what you're performing that may not be possible but where it fits it's an easy and often used way to stretch some songs.

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:48 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Best of luck Joe I hope it goes really well for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 24/02/2010 3:51 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

I'm hoping it goes well. I hope to be able to play these pretty flawlessly so my nerves don't get the best of me. But maybe that will all change when I sit down and try to play.

Posted : 24/02/2010 5:06 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

best wishes. m to add more time have a story ready. then break a string and while changing and tuning tell the story.
that'l kill a few minutes. hope it won't kill an audience buzz.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 24/02/2010 9:44 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

You gonna do great. I am finding most important thing (in addition to the music) is to be yourself, be willing to laugh at yourself if needed, talk to the crowd between songs, and then they have a tendency to warm up to you.

Posted : 25/02/2010 12:16 pm
(@alangreen)

Break a leg dude

A:-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 25/02/2010 8:08 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Joe! :D

Best wishes.

Posted : 25/02/2010 10:16 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! I"m already gettng alot of pre-show jitters and I'm a month away. I've been trying to practice some of the songs, and keep messing them up and that's not real good for my confidence, but we'll see how things develop. I'm sure once I get some real quality dedicated practice in, then I will be fine.

Posted : 26/02/2010 3:57 am
Page 1 / 2