Clear all

Why is every post held for approval?

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am new to the site and was just wondering why every post I attempt to make is held by the mdoerator pending approval. I understand the usual rules of decorum for websites are applicable but it's the first site where I've seen this applied to very post. Is this usual or do I need to post a certain number of times before that restriction is lifted? Just asking, not trying to make waves. Thanks.

Posted : 23/08/2012 2:59 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's because we like to keep Spam off the site. Before we had this rule, the mods would have to clear out the boards every day.

Now, we get very little Spam and what we do get is held until the mods can remove it.

It makes for a much better experience for the board members

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 23/08/2012 4:50 am
(@alangreen)

And it's only the first few:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44955

I cleared out a load of rubbish about Burberry, Louboutin shoes and NFL team shirts yesterday; the same spammer having posted exactly the same rubbish the day before and a couple of months back. He/she gets an e-mail for every rejected post.

You'll soon be through the pain barrier.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 23/08/2012 5:09 am
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I can understand and appreciate the spam but I have since made 4 more posts that have not made their way to the board. I tried my pm to the moderator rather than raise the issue in open forum, but my pm status is disallowed as well. I know the mods must be busy as well with their individual lives, etc. I just don't believe in taking advantage or being parasitic so I try in whatever small measure to contribute to the discussion regardless of what little I know.

Posted : 24/08/2012 3:11 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

As far as sites go...this rates the best I gotta say. Except for me...there ain't much riff raff here! :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 25/08/2012 1:56 am
(@alangreen)

I can understand and appreciate the spam but I have since made 4 more posts that have not made their way to the board. I tried my pm to the moderator rather than raise the issue in open forum, but my pm status is disallowed as well. I know the mods must be busy as well with their individual lives, etc. I just don't believe in taking advantage or being parasitic so I try in whatever small measure to contribute to the discussion regardless of what little I know.

You don't have any posts in the Moderation queue, so maybe there are some other gremlins in the system, and you have four live registered posts so you're almost through the pain barrier. Keep contributing to the cause.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 25/08/2012 5:35 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

You don't have any posts in the Moderation queue, so maybe there are some other gremlins in the system, and you have four live registered posts so you're almost through the pain barrier. Keep contributing to the cause.
I know when I started here I hit the "save draft" button a lot instead of "post". Check that out next time. Its easy to do.

I'm on a lot of forums, and have eaven helped build/run one. (Tractors ... hobby of mine). Spammers are a HUGE issue!!!!!!! There are a few ways to deal with it, and at my board we have tryed most! Sadly becouse of the lowlifes the new members have to suffer a bit

Paul B

Posted : 25/08/2012 10:15 am
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, guys. It's not a problem. I thought spam was filterable if you had to punch in numbers or some word sequence to prove it wasn't a bot. I'll sweat it out though I missed how many posts need to be made before I get out the sauna. I'm not sure where the other posts I did went but I'll repost what I can remember.

Posted : 25/08/2012 9:52 pm
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Just realised that last message went straight through so looks like I'm set to go now.

Posted : 25/08/2012 9:53 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Shades of "The Tempest"...you are now on the island...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 25/08/2012 10:32 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thanks, guys. It's not a problem. I thought spam was filterable if you had to punch in numbers or some word sequence to prove it wasn't a bot. I'll sweat it out though I missed how many posts need to be made before I get out the sauna. I'm not sure where the other posts I did went but I'll repost what I can remember.
There are a lot of kinda of spammers. All the stuff used durning first sign up help, but some times they are real people, and can bypass that.

Paul B

Posted : 25/08/2012 10:38 pm
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Shades of "The Tempest"...you are now on the island...

Cat

Yes and sometimes a thousand jangling instruments will hum about mine ear, and sometimes voices...

Posted : 26/08/2012 4:06 am
 Robz
(@robz)

Hi, I didn't notice the need for approval first and sent my first post (repeated the same message in more or less the same words) four times. I thought there was a problem with the computer.

However, while I got told my post was being duplicated by email, not one made it to the forum.

Is it possible the moderator thinks I'm spamming? I'm not, repeating the post was a genuine mistake.

Thanks.

Posted : 21/11/2012 3:26 pm
(@crazyeelboy)

As a new guy around here and as one who actively posts on other forums, I gotta say that the policy of moderator approval for all posts (at least at first) is off-putting and makes people feel unwelcome here.

Part of the whole idea is to jump into a community and start making connections. I could see how many interested people will simply disengage because of this policy. For some reason, the other forums I participate in avoid the spam problem without using a moderator approval policy. Anyway, I hope that I am eventually allowed to participate in this forum.

Posted : 04/12/2012 4:24 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Might seem that way as a new person here but trust me it's a good thing. Besides cutting down on spam it cuts down on the idiots that come in and just post nonsense etc.

Anyway I think you'll like it here everyone is friendly and helpful.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 04/12/2012 6:30 pm
Page 1 / 2