Notifications
Clear all

New here

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter

Greetings from Kentucky! New to guitars and thought I would join an online community to share my progress, challenges and successes.

I'm in my mid-30s, married, two kids, stable career as a project manager and bought my wife a cello for Christmas because she'd always wanted to learn to play. So, as she's been practicing, decided I would like to join in the music side and decided to pursue guitar.

I picked out a used Squier Strat from a local music shop that is currently being set-up and checked out before I pick it up this weekend, but definitely looking forward to it. I picked electric because with two kids and limited time to practice, I know grabbing some headphones on an amp will allow me to do some late night practice that I might not be able to do with acoustic.

Music background - little. I played band in middle school (clarinet and trumpet) so I do understand some basic music theory, and I can read music ok, but I also played a monophonic instrument, so introduction of chords and such is a bit new.

Music style - Definitely on the easier side of electric, love blues/jazz guitar, but also have gotten a serious kick out of Floyd, some of Joe Satriani, etc. So I'm sure I'll play a bit of everything once I get it going.

Practice - going to try to stick with some videos, books, etc. I learn quite well that way, but I do have some friends that are solid guitarists that I may reach out to as well. Also, going to try Rocksmith on the PS3 because, well, I can. :) I'm figuring the video game route will be for fun practice, but there's a lot I want to get used to on my own.

Other details - I've been teaching martial arts for over 20 years, officiate and play ice hockey, amateur photographer, wine snob, beer snob, liquor snob, marathon runner, and drink lots of coffee. :)

Posted : 18/02/2015 1:58 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Welcome to Guitar Noise! It sounds like you're going to have a very musical family.

There are a lot of serious Floyd fans here. And that definitely includes me. :D

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 18/02/2015 3:28 am
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter

Actually, Pink Floyd "Pulse" was my first credit card purchase I ever made. I think that flashing light finally went out like 3 or 4 years ago . . .

Posted : 18/02/2015 1:37 pm