Skip to content
I did not realise h...

Notifications
Clear all

I did not realise how expensive this could get.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mixedherbs)
Topic starter

Hello,

Last year I walked into a guitar shop in Exeter (UK) and thought "Golly, they look pretty." So I bought an Epiphone Les Paul with a small amplifier, went home, plugged it in and made a colossal amount of noise. Great fun. There was an added bonus that the other members of the household absolutely hated the idea of me learning to play the guitar and my wife stated "You have as much music ability as a brick." We'll see. I am getting to grips with the vast online resources available and intend to spend some time each day learning to play.

I also want to learn some music theory, however Amazon UK only have one copy of NoteBook's "Music Theory Book For Guitarists" for sale at a price I cannot yet afford. £31,140 which is roughly $48,267 at this morning's exchange rate. I shall continue to save my pennies.

Peter.

Posted : 30/08/2013 4:51 am
(@davidhodge)

Hi Peter

And welcome to Guitar Noise. I think that Tom doesn't have to sell all that many books at that price! Maybe I should be talking to my publisher about raising prices, too! :wink:

Seriously, though, you could probably mail him directly and, even paying for postage, get a much better deal than this.

Looking forward to seeing you around on the Guitar Noise forums.

Peace

PS - Okay, just had a look on Amazon (US) myself and whoa! There are three copies, used at that, selling for (US) $17,600. Worse, that doesn't include shipping (a mere $3.99). I strongly suspect that someone's slipped a decimal point somewhere, but wow!

Tom, I've just got to ask - what's your royalty rate?

Peace

Posted : 31/08/2013 12:31 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

David, I don't get royalties on resales (though it would sure be nice to have a piece of that 17K!). But my rate was 8%, which worked out anywhere from 80 cents to $1.75 per copy, depending on the distribution channel.

The book is out of print at the moment, because I've been slow at writing the second edition. I'm hoping stuff settles down soon so I can get back to it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 31/08/2013 1:36 am
(@guitaringenuity)
Eminent Member

Peter,

:D this was possibly the funniest "Meet and Greet" entry that I ever read. Seems that some vendors have a rather ambitious pricing philosophy. But anyway, welcome on board, I'm new, too. However, I can tell you hands down that this is by far the best guitar forum I've ever come across with. The people and the wealth of knowledge is amazing, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

As far a learning guitar is concerned: as you probably figured already, GuitarNoise offers a whole host of awesome lessons - I would definitely check those out. Additionally, there is a Guitar Teacher's thread where forum members who are also teachers, post their individual offers. Here is the link http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35873 .

I am too a guitar teacher, you find my information in the footer to this post. I have a specific program called the Beginners Guitar Course that could be of interest to you.

Anyway, enjoy the ride here...see you around.

Ulrich

Free Lifetime Access to the Guitar-Video Chordbank: http://guitaringenuity.com/squeeze1/
My Online Beginners Guitar Course: http://guitaringenuity.com/guitar-courses/beginners-guitar-course
(Coupons for Guitar Noise Members available - please PM me)

Posted : 06/09/2013 10:58 am