Clear all

Hi from Philly

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@3chordsabadattitude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So, here's the obligatory first post from a newbie.

I'm Dave and I'm from the Philadelphia, PA metro area. My wife and daughter have decided that practicing my prior hobby of motorcycling is no longer in my best interest after getting medevac'ed from an accident about a week ago. I need something to keep myself occupied and continuously learning, so I've decided to return to guitar after about 20 years.

I last played for a year or two in college and it didn't really stick, but it competed with other activities for my attention then. As my main hobby now, I'm hoping to at least get proficient. I fiddled around with GarageBand and my daughter's acoustic for about an hour and a half the other night and am figuring on getting an American Strat after I get some money from selling my bikes.

This looks like a good forum, so you'll probably see me around with newbie questions (I promise to search first, though!) and maybe I can eventually contribute something as I learn and improve.

Cheers!

Once you lick the lollipop of mediocrity, you'll suck forever.

Posted : 28/03/2010 6:59 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hi and welcome to GN.

This is not just a forum, but also an excellent learning site, with lots of lessons.

Sadly, we've lost all the tab, after getting one of the music industry's heavies sent round. There is still plenty for you to learn and, better still, you'll always get an answer on the forums. Unlike a lot of sites, our lessons come from GN members and, so, the answer is just a post away.

For those, who are inclined that way, we have a songwriter's group, with weekly "challenges" to write a song on a particular subject.

We also pride ourselves on our manners - you'll never get flamed, here. No matter what the question, the answer will be polite (the mods make sure of that).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 28/03/2010 8:18 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just to add to what Greybeard's already said - DON'T be afraid to ask questions. The only silly question is the one you don't ask - if you don't ask you'll never know.

Welcome to GN!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 28/03/2010 11:01 am
(@3chordsabadattitude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to the journey and I won't hesitate to ask the sages here for help or avail myself of the educational resources.

Posted : 28/03/2010 12:32 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Dave. Hope the motorcycle wreck didn't mess you up too bad?

Well, Strats are safer, unless your wife takes a disliking to them, and I'm sure that she won't.

One happy family, Strats, Steak and Cheese, you are gonna have it made when you sell your bikes. Cheers! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 28/03/2010 3:31 pm
(@3chordsabadattitude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Dave. Hope the motorcycle wreck didn't mess you up too bad?

Well, Strats are safer, unless your wife takes a disliking to them, and I'm sure that she won't.

One happy family, Strats, Steak and Cheese, you are gonna have it made when you sell your bikes. Cheers! :D

I was wearing all my gear, so I made out OK. The helicopter ride was more of a precaution than anything else as I couldn't remember who the president was at the time. Cracked rib, cracked sternum and a sore left shoulder (probably slightly separated) are what I wound up with. I'll count myself lucky to be typing this and selecting another hobby. I'm gonna miss riding in a big way, but I'm eager to get going with guitar.

Posted : 28/03/2010 3:36 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Dave! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/04/2010 7:07 pm