Clear all

Tube Amp ?s

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am thinking about building a tube amp and cab my only problem i si didnt know if i needed to get a particular type of speaker for my cab? Im thinking maybe a 4x10 on top of a 2x12 Also would it make more sense for me to get an old tube amp and repair it or try and build my own either way i am going to be learning from experience
thanks for the help

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, as far as building an amp, I would buy a kit and build it yourself. You can't help but learn a lot about how amps work doing that. That would be a great hobby and can become a good career too.

As far as speakers, what kind of sound are you after? If you are into a Marshall type Rock or Metal tone, probably Celestions. If you are into Blues, maybe Eminence or Jensens, these are common to Fender amps. But there are many other makes as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im planning on a dirty blues sound what about my cabs? are cab speakers like subs where you have to seal them off from the other magnets?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I have heard good things about Avatar Cabinets, but have never tried one. They have some speakers that are called Hellatone that are rebranded Celestions and a lot of folks like them. Have heard good things about Sammi speakers, and have heard them on the net, but don't own any yet. I have an Emminence Texas Heat in a single cab I use for my Epi Valve Jr Head and I like that. Is fairly easy to make a cab if you are handy with wood. I haven't tolexed or covered one yet, but the wood working portion was straight forward.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I am thinking about building a tube amp

I am thinking about building one also, either an 18watt.com or ax84.com. I think I am going to start by getting another Valve Jr. Head and modifying that. I think it would be easier to build from scratch then to try and trouble shoot an older amp that doesn't work. To many potential variables in my mind to start out trying to fix an older one. A new build you can control the variables and test as you go...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It often is easier to build one than to fix an old one that needs a lot of work. And with a new one you're more likely to understand the layout and what every part does. It can be a challenge to figure out existing circuitry, even with a schematic.

(Of course, it often is a challenge to figure out what you've built, too.)
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

For tube amp kits, I can recommend Ted Weber. I built one of the 6M45Ps (50W Marshall style circuit) a few months ago, and it was a good experience, and ended up w/ a really nice amp. He supplies a LOT of different styles of kits, and you can get most of them in either head or combo versions, with or without enclosures. Pretty flexible on what they supply. If you're looking for dirty blues, you'd probably be interested in the 50s Fender style circuits, like the 5E3. The kits come with all the parts you need, and schematic and layouts on the website, but NO step by step instructions. There are still some things you have to figure out yourself - and tweaks of course are all up to you! Lots of reading out there to help you, and Weber has a primitive BBS system where people post about their builds and help each other out. Great resource (just wish it didn't delete posts after they reached a certain age - that's what I mean by primitive). FYI - Weber also makes speakers that many people swear by. (I don't have Weber speakers though - I have Emis. Which Weber also sells.)

TZ

PS- I know that reads like an advertisement, but really, I have no association w/ them. I just really like the amp I built from them, and will probably build another one at some point. Probably a 5E3 like I mentioned, or, if I'm really ambitious, a 6A20 (Fender Blackface).
PPS- They've got a 10% off deal going on right now too.... GAS. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a few kits that I've had the opportunity to play on. They sound great. If you really want to get creative a low watt stereo hifi tube amp can make people wonder. I have an old Dynaco stereo hifi tube amp that brings out some fantastic overdrive tube harmonics. For speakers I'm a celestion boy. Whether a single 12 or 4x12. I like to achieve the tone where the amp is creating the speaker to do whats called break out. You'll know when the speaker gets to that point. Ubejamn.

AX84

Torresengineering

Guytronix

PLEASE becareful...All Tube guitar amps use potentially dangerous high voltages, even when unplugged.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@tom-d)
Eminent Member

Its Just Like Taking Apart T.V.s

ReplyQuote