Clear all

Triple XXX

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No, sorry, this topic is about the Peavey Triple XXX amp, not the "other" thing, sorry to dissapoint :)

Well, to cram a long story into a short one, I seem to have fallen into the GAS sydrome badly, looking at more pedals to make me sound great. Then I realized... I dont know my gear.

Yea, I fooled around with the amp, and the pedals for a few days, foudn what I liked, then hooked it up and played, never really "exploring" their sounds any further. Big Mistake. So I figure, before I go buy more toys, I should figure out how my toys work. Really explore them, which means brining all my gear back home from the drummers house to discover when we arent practicing.

My gear:
Triple XXX Head
Avatar 4x12, 4 celestion vintage30

Washburn x50
Dixon Guitar loaded with EMG 81 85

Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss Super Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay

(guitar, wah, overdrive, chorus, delay, amp)

(looking for an EQ pedal once i figure my gear out)
cables (upgrading to.... George L's?? Bullet Cables?? Monster??)

So do you guys have any suggestions to getting to the tone quickly? I.e if you know some tricks with the pedals...the amp???

I am also going to try to use my effects loop. I experimented recently with putting my overdrive there....and I didnt liek the tone, when i used it on the crunch channel..it seemed to "flatten" the gain and sound. made it cute through, but lose the tone... no matter how many knob tweaking...ideas?

effect loops have me lost!

thanks tone seekers

RIP Dimebag

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to move you down to amps and efx. I think you'll get a quick response there.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

What type of "tone" are you looking for? What guitarists do you like? It seems like you have all the tools, you just need to figure outhow to use them.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Laz. You have a great amp, cab, and pedals. The order is good too.

I played one of these amps at Guitar Center once for maybe 20 minutes. I was very impressed with the amps overdrive without pedals. Do you like it??

It is hard to give you advice. Tone is a personal thing.

Some things you could try:

Scooped Mids - Crank Bass and Treble all the way, turn Mids down completely. This is a famous Metal tone. Great for heavy rhythm.

Boosted Mids - Kinda the opposite. Boost your Mids high and cut Bass and Treble some. This is great for Lead guitar. You will really cut through any mix.

Reduce gain- Many people feel they have to crank gain to the max. This is usually harsh and sounds like air. Come down to around 5 or 6 (on a scale of 10). Your chords will have better crunch, your leads will stand out and cut through.

Get an EQ- You can fine tune your tone with an EQ much better than the tone stack on your amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, today at practice I played straight through to the amp. guitar-cable-amp.

People who say the cables dont make much difference, are misinformed. plugged in through my board (cheap pulsar cables), it sounds so....eek. i mean its ok dont get me wrong, it just kinda sounds covered in mud. Lose the pedals *aka the cheap cables* and the thing just shimmers.

Anywho,
I really love the lead sounds of Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Wylde, Dime....
So I guess that could be called sort of a modern lead tone...not good with categories more than good and bad haha.

I like the scooped mids when I am jamming alone, but in the band setting i bring the bass back a bit, mids up a lil bit...dont wanna step on the bass players sonic toes, but want people to hear the guitar, not just a mush of gain. I dont use much gain, but i do crank the volume knob on the channels, and use the master to adjust....makes the grind sound so much better.

So I think it just comes to, learning how to effectively use my pedals.

So, what i think i am going to do, once i get my upgraded patch cables, is hook up each pedal. One at a time. Tweak until i got it where i want. Then add another one to the chain. etc etc.

Any ideas?

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote