Clear all

Pre Amp/Power Amp

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have been searching around for my next amp and was hoping to get some vintage tube amp sound. I have played this baby a few times and I am COMPLETELY in LOVE with it, however it does cost a grand. :cry:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Tube-Princeton-Recording-Amp?sku=483714

Now, I would like to save money if possible and I know that some amps use tube and solid state, which would be cheaper. I was wondering if I can the same tube sound from one of these hybrids? Also, if it is possible to get great tube sound from a hybrid amp, is it better to have tube preamp and solid state power amp or vice versa.

If not, fear not, I will stick with the Princeton! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you have played a number of amps and this is the one that really turns you on, this is the amp you should get. No other amp, whether all tube or hybrid will sound just like this one. They may get close, but you will always wish you'd got this one.

My 2 cents.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's good advice, and definately true.

But I would still like to know which has a closer tube sound:
tube preamp and ss poweramp or ss preamp and tube poweramp?

(Sorry if that sounds rude Wes, I don't mean it to be rude, you gave great advice)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, lots of folks love the hybrid amps. Almost all have a tube pre-amp into a solid state power section. Randall has a line of amps with a solid state pre-amp and tube power section. Haven't heard these, but I think Randall has it right. This is not really much different from playing a pedal into a tube amp.

Still, nothing quite sounds like an all-tube amp. They just have a warmth that solid states can't quite get. They also distort differently. It is a thicker, softer, and more rubbery breakup. Solid states breakup harsh.

But that's only my opinion. Go try a few different amps and see what you like. It doesn't matter what I or anybody else likes.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There is a third option, the one I'm using: full-tube into solidstate poweramp. For example the Epi valve junior head into an attenuator, which makes it line-level. You can then send that to whatever processors you've got or put it directly into the FX-return or Aux-in of the solidstate amp. That way you can not only bring the overdriven Epi sounds down in volume, but you can also increase the clean volume. My chain:

guitar->wah->CS100->TO100->EQ700->Epi VJH->minimass attenuator->wah/volume->Boss GX700->GMX212 combo.

Very, very cheap set-up but it sounds awesome I think.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've played on about everything and anything over the years and have always came back to were I started and that was with an all tube amp. It's like a magicial experiance from the sound of overdriving a 100 watt tube amp at its saturtation point into a dummyload and splitting the line level signal to create a great signal chain. That brings the audience to their feet.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Anybody else played on a Fender Princeton, I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote