Newbie EVJ Combo Question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fluid)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I got a Epi Valve Junior Combo a few weeks back and boy oh boy is it ever awesome, however, I have a quick question. How warm should it get? It doesn't get hot to the touch or anything but I noticed today after an hour or so of playing the amplifier area got a little warm. If it makes any particular difference I've got a home made attenuator on it, but I only had the volume at around ten o'clock so it wasn't even working terribly hard. I'm attaching a picture of it for no particular reason other than it's blue.

Thanks guys!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tubes always get hot, but EL84s are famous for getting extremely hot, that's what the EVJ uses for it's power tube. My Marshall DSL401 also uses EL84s and it gets much hotter than my EVJ.

I wouldn't worry about it, but you could always have a fan blow on the back of the amp if you wanted.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The front panel of my VJ top, where the volume knob is, gets insanely hot after a while. Spend some hours with the epi cranked and it was hot enough to boil an egg on for sure. Not gonna get a fan, that would be more expensive then a replacement VHJ. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you don't put it right up against a wall or otherwise block the holes in the back. Don't tip the thing so it's facing up at the front, either. You don't want to impair the convective flow of air over the tubes. That's how they're cooled. As noted, the EL84 does run hotter than most common power tubes, and in the VJ the EL84 is pushed beyond its book maximum specs anyway. They are relatively cheap to replace, and keeping spares is always a good idea. The original Sovtek tubes in mine are working fine after a year and a half, though.

As for the volume, this is a Class A amp. It actually runs cooler when played hard, as under Classw A conditions the power output is subtracted from the power normally wasted heating the tube plate at idle.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! I figured a little warmth was to be expected, but the degree of toastiness surprised me so I figured I would check with you all...

ReplyQuote