39 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Analog and digital are signals

Solid state stuff and tubes are devices

I would think, but maybe incorrectly, that these devices could in theory use either type of signal, the problem is the analog signal carries so much more information than the digital signal. One of the advantages of digital is the way it can be compressed much more than analog.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

basic truth: we live in an analog world, and so-called "digital" systems are really analog systems optimized to transport and process a limited set of analog waveforms that get categorized as digital values.

think of a digital signal's waveform (in voltage or current or light pulses or magnetic flux states or tone pulses or …) as a really simple, dumbed-down analog signal waveform. then it's a pretty easy extension to say "okay, now instead of allowing transmission of signals at any infinitesimally precise value between -1 and +1 volt (that's analog), we will limit the transmitted signals to either within -1.0 to -0.8 V (binary 0) or within +0.8 to +1.0 V(binary 1), and values in between -0.8 and +0.8 are neither permitted (except during transitions) nor recognized." and you've just defined how your fully analog-capable system will carry digital information. every analog system has the capacity to carry many forms of digitally encoded info. but if a system will carry only a certain, well-define set of digital waveforms, then a full-blown analog system is a waste of $$, power and similar for this purpose. so that original analog transmission and processing system is simplified to a more cost efficient architecture specially designed to support efficient digital waveforms.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Analog and digital are signals

Solid state stuff and tubes are devices

I would think, but maybe incorrectly, that these devices could in theory use either type of signal, the problem is the analog signal carries so much more information than the digital signal. One of the advantages of digital is the way it can be compressed much more than analog.

both can be "compressed" in many different ways, and in each case the operation usually operates by removing "extra" or less important or restorable information in some dimension: code space, amplitude, bandwidth, modulation spectra.

true information is unique and measurable. information theory (correctly) says that I can only compress any signal so much before information is lost. if digital information seems to be more compressible, it's only because is was less efficient in the first place.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

the mildly distorted ones will be where you can tell it is not a real tube amp I am afraid. We will see though.

Based on the few amps I've owned, that's my experience as well - the range of sound from just-on-the-edge-of-breakup to light overdrive seems better done with a tube amp. But it would be very interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with different amps at different settings, to see if most people could tell the difference.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wow! That sparked some mighty technical discussion. :mrgreen: Here is what I do know about the Peavey VYPYR from my research prior to purchase. It is the only amp out there right now that combines analog distortion/overdrive (Peavey Transtube Technology) with digital modeling. They have amps with both tube and solid state power amp sections. Up til now, Tech 21's SansAmp products were the closest thing to tubes I have ever used. The Peavey TransTube Technoogy in my VYPYR is as good IMO. Thats saying a lot if you are familiar with SansAmp. The cool thing about the digital modeling is that the amp models EQ work the same way they would on the actual amp. For example: If the amp has active EQ, the model will be zero at the top of the bass treble mid with a turn to the left cutting and a turn to the right boosting. If it's an old fashioned amp model, the EQ goes 1 - 10 just like the amps. If the actual amps EQ has minimal response then so does the model. Each stomp box effects has 2 parameters that are adjustable, usually level and gain for the distortion type effects with the tone being fixed. The digital processer settings have 2 parameter controlls but anything with a speed factor can be controlled by the tap tempo button. Not exactly like having 24 effects pedals but close. Actually it's more than 24 too cause there is a seperate delay all together (with 2 parameters) and a reverb plus the built in tuner.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR I'll have to check out those clips. the Vpyr 112 which is I beleive a 40w amp that I am using in place of my Fender doesn't do much for me tone wise so it'll be interesting to hear what yours sounds like.

The clean channel isn't bad but the distortion is not good at all or at least not the sound I'm looking for. The clean channel was decent though so I run my pedals through the clean channel, the distortion sounds like a bunch of bees.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It sound good I liked 1 and 2 the best as far as tone, 1 a little better.

ReplyQuote
(@budarhythmic)
Eminent Member

the mildly distorted ones will be where you can tell it is not a real tube amp I am afraid. We will see though.

Based on the few amps I've owned, that's my experience as well - the range of sound from just-on-the-edge-of-breakup to light overdrive seems better done with a tube amp. But it would be very interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with different amps at different settings, to see if most people could tell the difference.

I've read this entire thread and I wanna learn about the stuff being talked about but I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon being tossed around. Why am I posting then? well you asked about a side-by -side comparison and I just so happened to come across such a study, as potentially un-scientific as it may or may not be. Here's the link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_3726614660

"Tube Amps continue to rule when it comes to its' mild overdrive soft clipping sound and tone!
Close to 90% of our listening audience could tell they we're listening to a real tube amp when it was set to a soft clip overdrive tone."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I think thats why this is a great amp for me. I tend to play high gain or clean. I'm not an in between kind of guy so this amp can make the sounds I get out of my tube amps and it has so many different sounds and effects it is capable of. I have had amps before with built in effects and they were not very adjustable. This amps controlls on the effects are close to the same amount of controll you would have with the pedal.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3