Clear all

need help with my amp

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I go to play my Fender Champ 600 Reissue today, I turn it on then I got sidetracked and came back to it a half hour later. I plugged my guitar in, turn up the volume and start to play. My amp stays silent. I tried both inputs, using my other electric guitar, multiple cables and still the amp stays silent. I then shut it of and came back to try it again later. Normally when I turn it on, it takes it a few seconds to warm up, then there is a little pop sound accompanied by some hum, but there isn't anymore.
I have had my amp since last October and haven't had any problems before and I have also heard people saying that the tubes in them can burn out pretty fast.
So did my amp burn a fuse or a tube or what? The Champ is my first tube amp so I really don't know much about them. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience for me.

Edit: The Champ 600 uses a 12AX7 tube and onne 6V6 tube.
Also here's a link to the specs
http://www.fender.com/products//view_specs.php?full_partno=2330100000&name=Champion+600

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fuse is the first thing I'd check. It's very uncommon for a tube failure to produce a sudden, completely silent amp failure.

Of course if the new fuse blows, there's something in the amp (perhaps a failed tube) drawing too much current and blowing it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Fuse is what I'd think too, but Nuno reported a problem with his Champ 600 recently ... maybe a QC problem with these inexpensive little guys?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I will hopefully have time to take it to a guitar store today to have one of their techs take a look at it.

If it is a fuse or tube that burned out, how much do you think a new one would cost?

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fuse-a buck or two. Tube-maybe $10-20 at a guitar store.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote