Clear all

Looking for Amp Advice

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am getting back into gigging and need to pick up a new amp. Unfortunately, I am on a tight budget. I just picked up a Les Paul Studio, but I have no pedals and only a small practice amp. My budget is probably $300 or less. We're going to be playing a fairly wide range of classic and current rock. Three songs that we're working on right now are Rocky Mountain Way, Paranoid and Kryptonite.

So, I'm thinking the best route would be a combo amp. with some effects that will get my by until I can afford some effects pedals. I've been looking at Line6 Spiders (I was told that the II's are better than the III's), Peavey Vypyrs, Marshall DFX's and Vox AD50's.

Any advice or amps to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I just picked up a Les Paul Studio, but I have no pedals and only a small practice amp. My budget is probably $300 or less.

. . .

I've been looking at Line6 Spiders (I was told that the II's are better than the III's), Peavey Vypyrs, Marshall DFX's and Vox AD50's.

Any advice or amps to stay away from would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Of the list suggested, I'd go with the Vox. BUT . . .

You're willing to spend $800 - $1300 on the guitar and then plan on getting a cheap modeling amp to gig with? Don't forget that the amp is the other part of your tone equation, and a great guitar through a mediocre amp will sound worse than a mediocre guitar through a great amp.

If the "small practice amp" will do the job miked up through the PA for a while, I'd save money until I could afford a better amp, instead of just a louder amp.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Moonrider. I should mention the the LP is an Epi. I had a Gibson at one time, but had to sell it to put food on the table. What would be a minimum amp that you would recommend? I had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at one point. It was ok, but I'm looking for something with better distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

IMO, the Line 6 would be very good in the short run, and they're very popular, easy to get and maintain in Ohio, maybe from Dayton to Columbus, from Sam Ash or Guitar Center, for example. My friends there have Line 6's, I've used them.

But the Vox AC50 has a mystique about it, and is certifiably cool. 8) Kustoms are also neat and retro, but you may not like their look, with all that upholstery or padding. I like their sound but don't know how they hold up or gig.

I'm not too fussy about Peavey's performance in that price range, not even the Classic models which are light and tinny compared to my all tube Fenders. The 5150 is the flagship, I think, at least it is a good, tough amp.

Marshalls are good, I've had a few, but have the darndest time getting clean sound out of them.

Avoid Randall, I've seen them break, and have nearly impossible bias to get adjusted right.

Traynor is to consider, but you'll need warranty, or else they too end up on the bench.

Have to say Vox (AD) I'll check it here so that I have researched, not just posted. :lol:

http://www.voxamps.com/valvetronix/

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac50st.html

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Blue Jay. I think I'm leaning toward the Vox or the Peavey as I do my research. I still need to get to a store and play them though. That will be the final judge, I suppose.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks Moonrider. I should mention the the LP is an Epi. I had a Gibson at one time, but had to sell it to put food on the table. What would be a minimum amp that you would recommend? I had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at one point. It was ok, but I'm looking for something with better distortion.

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about FX, and concentrate on a decent distortion/overdrive from the amp. I have to warn you, my personal bias is towards small, low powered EL-84 tube amps pushed to the edge of meltdown. My favorite high-gain & hard rock sound is my Epi Valve Jr. mini-stack with the volume at 2 'o clock, and a 70's era MXR distortion+ in front to send it over the edge. Of course, when I perform with that I mike it since it's only 5 watts.

In general, I'd advise you to save for a tube amp of about 15 to 20 watts. That will give you enough power to do most small to medium gigs unmiked. Then add a good sounding distortion like the MXR I use, the Boss DS-1 or OS-2, or the Marshall "Guv'nor"

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

As far as a modeling amp goes with a lot of onboard effects, I absolutely love my Behringer V-Ampire 100 watt combo amp. It is 6 yrs. old, I paid around $250.00 for it, & they are still around that price. Anything from super hard crunchy distortion, metal overdrive, sweet blues tones & crystal clear clean sounds.

Now, I have never gigged with it, so I can't say how it would hold up on the road, and they are considered a "budget" amp, for sure. If it would ever break, I would most likely replace it with the same model. Other than that, I have had good success with Peavey's over the years during heavy gigging. When you are on the road a lot, things tend to get thrown around & can really take a beating, but my Peavey Nashville 400 never gave up on me.

Just my .02... :)

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

In addition to the choices mentioned already, I think the Fender Super Champ XD could fit your needs quite well. It has some basic effects, would be loud enough for practice and miking through a PA, has a modeling front-end and a tube power amp.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about FX, and concentrate on a decent distortion/overdrive from the amp. I have to warn you, my personal bias is towards small, low powered EL-84 tube amps pushed to the edge of meltdown. My favorite high-gain & hard rock sound is my Epi Valve Jr. mini-stack with the volume at 2 'o clock, and a 70's era MXR distortion+ in front to send it over the edge. Of course, when I perform with that I mike it since it's only 5 watts.

In general, I'd advise you to save for a tube amp of about 15 to 20 watts. That will give you enough power to do most small to medium gigs unmiked. Then add a good sounding distortion like the MXR I use, the Boss DS-1 or OS-2, or the Marshall "Guv'nor"
I can find no fault with this thinking. This is what I am currently using. I am giving my Peavey Classic 30 a rest. This also would be a great amp for what you want but a new one is pushing $700. Right now I'm using a Tube Screamer into my Epi Valve Special and have it plugged into my 4 X 12 Fender cab. I just love the sound too. Class A, EL-84's and the Special has 2 pre amp tubes so it has a volume / gain configuration. Even at 5 watts these things can get pretty loud.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote