Notifications
Clear all

Hum from PA connections

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bdanno74)
Topic starter  

Sorry all im new at this. I am currently playing through an Alesis DM10 electric drumkit. The Module Has a main out (2 jacks), and 2 jacks for AUX out. I recently purchased a 100 watt powered monitor to use in conjuction with the bands PA system. The problem im having is, when you hook up the pa and the monitor at the same time I get a lot of noise. Now individually they are quiet. Ive tried running the monitor directly out of the PA as well as connecting it to the aux out and no matter what I do if they are hooked up together i get that hum!!! any help would be great.

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Try plugging everything into the same electrical circuit . Also keep lead cords to the minimum length necessary . If you have a direct box , use it . Do NOT lift the ground !!! If you can use balanced cords , use them . I always used to have hum of some sort whenever I used unbalanced cords to connect my PA system . Every since I went completely balanced , it is virtually noiseless .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@bdanno74)
Topic starter  

Try plugging everything into the same electrical circuit . Also keep lead cords to the minimum length necessary . If you have a direct box , use it . Do NOT lift the ground !!! If you can use balanced cords , use them . I always used to have hum of some sort whenever I used unbalanced cords to connect my PA system . Every since I went completely balanced , it is virtually noiseless .
Thank you I'll try that.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Do NOT lift the ground !!!

I disagree; if the drum kit and PA are each providing a path to ground and the connection between them is causing a hum-inducing loop, then the ground lift button on a DI box is there for exactly this reason.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Do NOT lift the ground !!!

I disagree; if the drum kit and PA are each providing a path to ground and the connection between them is causing a hum-inducing loop, then the ground lift button on a DI box is there for exactly this reason.
My apologies . What I was referring to was using an adapter on the power cord that goes from three prongs to two . Lifting the ground at line levels is an acceptable practice , if it works .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good point, Diceman. I've seen people snap off the ground prong on their power cables! Not safe!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote