How to connect amp to pc

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
16.3 K Views
(@matchakoto)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

I'm using guitar rig to add effect to my guitar.I basically always use headphones to listen to it but i'd like to have the output to my guitar amp. Basically the record chain is this: Guitar--->guitar usb interface--->guitar rig--->computer headphones/speaker.
Now,trough every computer speaker i've tried the sound is not nearly as the headphones one.
So,since i'm not using the guitar amp, i'd like to have the output trough it.
Problem is that,when i connect the pc out to the amp input,even if the amp volume is all to 0,i keep hearing HEAVY static sound,and when i mean heavy...i mean that the amp seems to explode.. i've tried to connect it to another input port "LINE IN" of the amp and there i get a decent sound but...even with max volume on pc,i can barely hear it.
I've also tried to use a Yamaha in/out usb interface of a friend (mine have only 1 input,basically a cable 1/4 inch to usb) but it keeps giving me static noises.

Any ideas on how i can connect it?

Thanks.

(@alangreen)

I run my PC through an old hi-fi.

What I find is you should use decent quality cables. Secondly, the problem with your guitar amp is that it probably has a 1/4 inch input, so you're plugging a guitar cable in there. I'd run a smaller cable out of the 3.5mm speaker out socket from the PC sound card, have the PC sound volume at 100% and then use a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch converter straight into the amp's input socket. Fiddle with the volume and EQ and you should be good to rock and roll.

It'll never be perfect, but you should be able to get it sounding decent.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@matchakoto)
Topic starter  

What I find is you should use decent quality cables. Secondly, the problem with your guitar amp is that it probably has a 1/4 inch input, so you're plugging a guitar cable in there. I'd run a smaller cable out of the 3.5mm speaker out socket from the PC sound card, have the PC sound volume at 100% and then use a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch converter straight into the amp's input socket. Fiddle with the volume and EQ and you should be good to rock and roll.

I've tried both with 3.5mm with adapter on the amp and 1/4 inch with adapter on the sound card but both give me the same noises (the 3.5 mm have a few less noise anyway).But what i get is not a simple noise,it's an heavy electrical noise.
I've also tried to shut down the pc,but as i plug the cable in the pc (even if the amp volume is fully down) i get this static noise.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Might be worth trying one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/hq-CAR-NF01-Skytronic-Ground-Isolator/dp/B000NVWB9O - a ground loop isolator. You can get 3.5mm to 3.5mm models but probably just cheaper to get one of the phono ones and a couple of converter plugs or cables.

Which PC output are you connecting to? Do you have separate headphone and speaker outputs? Is there a line-out on the computer? Ideally you connect the computer line-out to the amp line-in and levels should be okay. The amp guitar input will amplify a lot more (and also expects a higher impedance input) so if you really have to do that turn the computer volume right down to start with.

The guitar amp will colour the output sound, so it might be good for playing guitar through this setup, but not so great for playing music from the computer. PC speakers are generally not great; I also find headphone quality is much better, playing through a hi-fi like Alan does is a good solution, but obviously requires you to have a hi-fi near the computer and switch it on/off.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Not a solution but for what it's worth, I can't run my laptop thfough my PA system without getting excessive noise. It works fine through my old home stereo. It works fine through the Crown commercial sound system I have. The PA that is designed for live music hates it though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm TR that's strange I runmy computer through the PA all the time and it sounds fine. That's my preferred method when I want to play along with CD's that way I can crank up the volume on my amp and play along.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh, I used to use an old desktop that worked just fine. This laptop though, thats another story.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@matchakoto)
Topic starter  

Tomorrow i'll try to post a video so you'll better see what the problem is,it's kinda strange to explain without it.

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@matchakoto)
Topic starter  

So,here's the video,i've add some notes inside to explain what's going on.
link to the video

As you can hear,those are not simple noises.Remember that the volume of both amp and pc is set to ZERO.

If i plug the cable inside "line in" port instead i have sound,but it's crappy and with low volume too.

Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I believe what you need is an impedence attenuator . The sound from your computer out is either line level or is amplified already and you are overpowering the guitar amplifier input . Whirlwind sells them for less than $20.00 and there are several levels of attenuation to choose from . Some direct boxes also feature attenuation .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You are going into the "guitar" input of your amp?
That's a large part of the problem.

Does your amp have a "line" or "CD" input?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote