Skip to content
hooking up a fender...

Notifications
Clear all

hooking up a fender champ 600 and deluxe 112 together?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I have a fender deluxe 112 and fender champ 600 reissue. The champ is 5 watt class a tube and the deluxe is a 200w solid state. The champ has the option to power a cab and here are its stats
Fender Champion 600 5W 1x6 Combo Amp Specifications:
* Type: Tube Amplifier
* Output: 5 Watts
* Ohms: 4 Ohms
* Speaker: One 6 Inch, 4 Ohm Special Design Driver With Ceramic Magnet
* Weight: 15 Lbs (7 Kg)
Dimensions
* Height: 11" (28 cm)
* Width: 12" (31 cm)
* Depth: 7.5" (19 cm)
* TUBES
* 1-12AX7A
* 1-6V6 (diode rectifier)
Features: Tube Preamp And Tube Power Amp (One 12AX7 tube; One 6V6 tube)

On my deluxe 112 it has a power amp in input jack and I was wondering if I could use my champ to power it.

I really don't know much about amps and would hate to blow my amps out so any help would be really nice.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know?

Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

That would not be a good idea at all , plugging the Champ into the power amp input . That signal is way too strong . That input is for plugging a pre-amp out into (like the one on the deluxe) . It would be possible to use a direct box on the Champ's output and then into the power amp in on the deluxe . That would at least ensure you not damaging anything ( components , hearing , etc. ) . Behringer makes one for about $20 .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

No! You cannot do that. That will damage your Fender 112.

There are two kinds of "outs" on guitar amplifiers. The first is almost always called a "Speaker Out". This is a powerful, highly amplified signal that is designed to do one thing only, drive a speaker(s). You should never run this into anything but a speaker or speaker cab. The one exception is an attenuator that goes between the Speaker Out and speaker, converting much of the signal to heat. This allows you to crank an amplifier but keep volume low.

The other signal is a "Line Out". The Line Out is called by many names, this can confuse people. On your 112, the PreAmp Out is a Line Out signal. This is a much weaker signal that needs to be amplified. Now, you could go out of the PreAmp Out on the 112 and go into the instrument input on the Champ, this will work fine and will not damage the Champ.

But if you go out of the Speaker Out on your Champ into the instrument input, PreAmp Out, or Power In on the 112 it will instantly damage the amp.

The PreAmp Out/Power Amp In is actually your Effects Loop on the 112. You could come out of the PreAmp Out and go into an effects pedal or multi-efx, then come out of the pedal or multi-efx's output into the Power Amp In. This allows you to insert effects between the Preamp and Power sections of your amp.

Hope that helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot, I will just run them in line then. Glad I asked here before I blew out my amps.

ReplyQuote