7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
21.3 K Views
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here are two links that can be very useful:

This is an excellent - and complete - tutorial: http://members.cox.net/pasystem1/

and our own lessons https://www.guitarnoise.com/sound.php

If these don't answer your needs, feel free to post your questions.

Laz

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Dan

Another good site with lots of info on PAs and Sound Systems is Yorkville.

Yorkville Professional Audio Guide

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes often refers to this site as well. Scott has written a few articles for GN too.

An excellent website to learn about PA systems and how they work is Scotts PA Tutorial. Go through the tutorial. It will explain very basic to very complex systems and how they work. You will also become familiar with terms you might not know at this time. Plus, they have a great message board with very friendly and knowledgeable folks who are always very happy to answer any questions you might have. Check it out.

Scott's PA Tutorial

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I read Scott's yesterday. Today I read Laz's articles on the subject (way to go Dan, great stuff!)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@493dart)

The first couple sentences say it all on the "Scott" link .

1. You get what you pay for .

2. If $$$ allows , avoid behringer /peavey/ mackie/ and similar low end products.

3. see #1

One thing that Ive seen over the years is a lot of guys dont understand Gain Structure . Very important .

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'll add- I don't have a "sound system," but sort of object to Peavey being lumped into the low end.

They make budget products, but some of their gear sounds good and lasts forever...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'll add- I don't have a "sound system," but sort of object to Peavey being lumped into the low end.

They make budget products, but some of their gear sounds good and lasts forever...

Best,
Ande
Have to say I agree with you. Also Mackie? Thought that was higher end stuff??? If I'm not mistaken one of the tutorials on this thread shows a Mackie mixer. I've had a small Mackie mixer for years that I coupled with my Peavey power amp. The power amp did break when lightning struck it. What do I know though, I got one of the cheap "stay away from them" setups. It is a Phonic Powerpod 740 Plus and I have Peavey speakers to augment the cheapies that came with it. Got a small Peavey powered mixer I use for my Kustom monitors too. Lets face it, I play in my garage and when I do play out every bar up here is in a building that used to be someones house. Do I need a $10,000 PA? All I can say is courses for horses and the advice to buy the best you can afford is good ..... but .......... you got to ask yourself is this a career or a hobby. I my case it is a hobby.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote