Clear all

Choosing my next amp

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@budarhythmic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so currently I have a Line 6 Spider Series 30w amp which got me to this point, but I'm ready to move on. I was originally thinking about going all out and grabbing up a half-stack, but my uninformed self didn't realize that there's no way I can afford that yet. So I figured I'd ask people who knew better than me and that's how somehow or another I ended up here.

Ok so I guess here's the low-down:
- My band plays everything from hard rock and grunge to really mellow psychedelic/experimental stuff so I versatility is a must. If you want you can listen to some of our music at http://www.myspace.com/fourletrwrdz to get a better idea of what kinda music we have.
- I'd prefer a tube/valve amp over a modeling amp
- We do some self-recording but how it sounds live is more important to me
- Doesn't need built in effects, I'd rather use pedals anyway
- My primary guitar is a Jay Turser semi-hollow

Now, with that in mind, I DID find a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 60w Amp at Guitar Center for like $500. Some guy drew all over it so I'm guessing that's why it's so cheap. I think theres new Pioneer speakers in it too. Would that be worth it based on what I'm trying to accomplish? It seems like a good deal but if a different amp would suit me better for a similar price than I'd like to know.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

If the Blues Deville works well, I would think it is worth $400 with the scribbling. Then paint it brown tolex over the tweed.

Carvin has some great amps that you may order direct from their site, but I don't know about comparable features and prices.

I like the looks and specs on the Vintage Series, prices are good, like Belair and sound should be excellent; plus there's all of their others.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@budarhythmic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If the Blues Deville works well, I would think it is worth $400 with the scribbling. Then paint it brown tolex over the tweed.

Carvin has some great amps that you may order direct from their site, but I don't know about comparable features and prices.

I like the looks and specs on the Vintage Series, prices are good, like Belair and sound should be excellent; plus there's all of their others.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/

So I checked out the website and looked at the different series of amps they had and read the reviews for the belair and nomad and couldn't find a single negative review. Thinking that ludicrous I looked up some reviews around the web that WEREN'T on Carvin's site and well... It's a lot of the same.

Apparently Carvin has quality craftsmanship, great customer service, and a wondeful sound quality. Review after review raved how it sounded as good if not better than their Marshalls, Crates, Peaveys and Fenders, including the Deville I was considering. The general consensus seems to be that it's the best bang for your buck at that price.

The only complaints I can find are that the soak channel may not suit everybody's needs... but people are countering that by saying that its not made for metal or screamo and the like since its a vintage amp. That is perfectly fine with me cause I don't play any of that... I want to think on it for another day or two before I commit but this seems like that Belair could definitely be the one, esp since I can return it if I really really dont like it and get my money back. Thanks Blue Jay, you made me really glad I didn't just buy that deville on impulse haha.

ReplyQuote
(@budarhythmic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've decided to go for it. The Belair is mines! lol and now we wait....

Thanks again Blue Jay, I don't think I would've even considered Carvin if you hadn't mentioned it. Honestly I hadn't even heard of them before your post lol. I don't know anybody who has one themselves, but I guess I just get to explore it myself and figure out if all those reviews were right.

I noticed that there are a ton of lessons on here as well.... I'm about to start from the bottom and break in my amp that way. I'm largely self-taught but I understand some theory and can at least make some nice sounding music...most of the time lol. Idk what I may have missed up to this point, but I figure that trying something new is better than trying nothing at all.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Wow, that's fab! You've done your homework, and are serious about having fun and getting a great product and service for your money. What could be better?

I'm glad too, that you mentioned all of your thoughts and activities in the process of getting your amp. Enjoy! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@budarhythmic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Haha thanks :)

Honestly I'm not even the kind of person to buy the first thing reccommended to me usually (otherwise I would've just ponied up the dough for that Deville in GC) but I really found no reason not to at the very least give this amp a shot. Everything I've read makes me want it more.

For example, the stock Belair may not be exactly what I want, but there are mods out there which apparently make it wail a whole lot nicer (Hasserl mods I think) and just make it a better amp in general. Since I'm very interested in actually learning about my gear and how to upgrade to get the sound I want, this just adds to my desire haha.

Now I just hope it gets here before my show... :note1:

ReplyQuote