Can you make your own pedals?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How hard is it to make effects pedals?

I guess the immediate answer is 'depends on what effect you want to make'.

Anyway, to elaborate, I want to get hold of a volume pedal, so I can have fun playing things in a poor attempt at a Steve Hackett style (the man is in the pantheon of guitar gods after all). I guess I could buy one (any recommendations?), but then I thought 'hey, I wonder if I could make one?'

I have no real grasp of electronics (never needed it), but a fair amount of common sense, and an ability to follow instructions pretty well. Are there any good sources of 'how to' on the web, or in book form, that you could recommend?

Has anybody tried/done it themselves? Any advice/warnings?

If I managed to make a volume pedal, I may carry it on to other effects (I think I may enjoy the challenge).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sure you can. I think it would be fun myself. Wish I had the time.

Here is a site about this, with many links at the bottom.

DIY Stompboxes

Have fun, and let us know how it comes out. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks Wes! I wasn't expecting such a quick reply!

That link should give me something to do at work today then!

Cheers!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here's another link: http://geofex.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cool!

Thanks Ricochet!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome. That's a great site, and R.G. Keen's a great guy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

I just finished a little amp from this site (ruby), i cant belive something so small could sound so great. Most effect are well mapped out. http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

Good replies here... only thing i would say is... how are you going to make the rocker for the pedal... a lot of people buy volume pedals and turn them into wah pedals for example because all they need is the rocker mechanism. Building effects is pretty easy over all on the other hand..

Though if all you want is to change the volume from one level to another is very easy, you just need a pot that goes from the guitar signal to ground and the wiper will be at the appropriate level to be easily switchable.

I think bespoke volume pedals are considered the best value for money though.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Dave,

Unfortunately, switching from one volume to another is not sufficient for my needs. Steve Hackett plays a solo on the Genesis track 'Firth of Fifth' in which he plucks the string with no volume, then straight away brings the volume up with the pedal, giving the solo an ethereal quality, like the notes slip in and out of existence.

I actually won a volume pedal on e-bay recently - by accident. I put a really low bid on it, expecting to be outbid, but wasn't.

I will keep these sites you've given me though in my favourites - I would love to build my own pedals one day (and maybe even an amp now!), but I think I have a long way to go before I can grasp the whole electronics 'language'.

Besides, I really need to devote my time to actually learning how to play first!!!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

NIe try on the building! Its always nice to see someone trying to "Homebrew" (Radio lingo for building your own equiptment) anyway, electronic theory isnt all that hard with a little practice (Common sense after all if you look at it the right way, there are no Tricks in it everything is prettymuch straightforward). Learn some basic Laws like Ohms law and Kirchoff's law and thats a great foundation. Eventually if you kept going youd be able to design (Yes from your head and know how everything works) your own amp! which is one of my goals for the future! anyway I did a quick google and found this site may be of some help if you want to continue with electronics.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/basic-electronics.htm

Good Luck!
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote