Skip to content
Amp Power cord repl...

Notifications
Clear all

Amp Power cord replacement question (now answered)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

[UPDATE: I was able to use some needle nose pliers to get the job done; and also found out there's a special tool for it for future reference. ]

I bought a mid-70's Traynor YGM-3 recently. Sounds real sweet, am making some minor mods to tweak the sound.

It has a two prong power cord that I want to replace with a proper polarized 3-prong cord. I've got a new power cord, but I can't get the old one out of the strain relief. It's a direct power cord, no receptacle in the back of the amp. Are there any tricks to getting the power cord out of the strain relief, or given the age of the amp is it likely that they are fused together and I should just cut the whole thing out and get a new strain relief? Are these available in Radioshack and such, or do I need to go mail order?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(PS: The filter caps have been replaced, so I don't have to do that in the amp.)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You squeeze the eyelet, on the part that moves or articulates inward until it is free of the chassis body hole, but by then, it is really squeezing or compressing the cord, and still needs to be pulled out.

Just cut it - did you and put in a whole new cord? Ground the third wire, if there is one, to the chassis. Don't touch any capacitors or power supply. Oh nevermind, you got it long ago! :lol:

Don't ever touch metal with both hands, use one hand where you can, or force yourself to use one hand, unless you're on a grounding mat. Great that those caps are new - excellent!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Blue Jay,

Thanks .. it's been replaced for a while now, with a 3-prong cord, grounded properly. That's my main practice amp now. Although I can't crank it, it sounds sweet even at low volumes, and deals well also with my pocket pod in case I want different tones. It's got character :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote