Recording with Guitar Rig

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
24.8 K Views
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have Guitar Rig 5 and would like to record a track with it without having to input a dry signal and then applying it like an effect. I would prefer to just play what amp model I choose over a backing track and hear it in real time. Can anyone recommend what recording software would work like this and how it would be set up.

I tried Audacity which recognises a clean signal when I use a USB cable link from the guitar or which recognises my Digitech RP255. However, Audacity only seems to give me the option to use GR like an effect applied to the recorded dry signal after. I just want a simple set up to record over a backing track without having to fiddle with after effects.

I tried Cubase but the drivers seem to be mutually exclusive so I can't use both together.

I have pro tools le but that only runs with the 11 rack and I can't seem to manually configure it to any other interface because it only comes on with the 11 rack. I don't want to use the 11 rack for recording...the setup is mainly for recording on the fly with a laptop and when i am mobile.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Reaper will do it. You have to set it up as an "Input FX". When you arm a track in Reaper, a second "fx" button appears. This is the input effects. Using Guitar Rig in this manner actually records the wet signal.

If you use the standard way in Reaper, it will record the dry signal, but it will seem like it's recording wet as long as the regular effects plug-in button is enabled and Guitar Rig was selected. You can Render the track, which creates a wet track or you can render the output kind of like Boucne fashion in Pro Tools.

It's easiest to think about it this way. Guitar Rig by itself uses the ASIO connected input, which is whatever you plugged into the USB. when you have recording software open, guitar Rig has to use that program's ASIO connection. I use Reaper, as I stated above. What this means is that Reaper is sending Guitar Rig the signal. Not ASIO. Guitar Rig returns the signal back to Reaper. Reaper returns it to the soundsystem via ASIO somewhere in that chain. Guitar Rig is isolated from ASIO from what I understand.

The reason that your RP255 worked is that it was the interface pre-USB. The recording software is taking that signal (using ASIO to do so). Guitar Rig never is and never was an interface. Just a bit of software using ASIO exactly how Reaper uses it. Just for different purposes.

For Audacity, see if there's an input fx chain? Reaper is dirt cheap, btw. $40 - $60?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I don't believe Audacity can use any plugin (Guitar Rig, a reverb, what ever) on the fly for a wet recording. You can only hear and record a dry signal and then apply effects post recording.

I'm with Roy, buy Reaper. It's great value for the price and you'll get the functionality you want: You'll be able to hear and record the wet signal.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys. I downloaded the trial version of reaper to check it out first and you are correct, it did work with GR as an effect plug in. Took a while to configure the drivers because ASIO seems like a dedicated driver and can't be used when other audio programs are running. I also tried the expeimental windows driver, half expecting it not to work, but it did as well.

Reaper is perfect for my needs and I will buy it, moreseo because I appreciate the honour system the people at reaper put in place for the use of the software. Kinda smart when you consider that you essentially buy the program or if not, you sell out your honour.

The only thing I will bitch about is that the importation of an mp3 track or other audio track should be more straightforward in the file menu rather than having to go through several steps to do this.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Glad it worked. :)

I used Reaper while traveling myself, using GR as you do. My next trip will be running a Boss GT-100 into Reaper instead of the guitar into GR.

The work flow in Reaper is a bit different than with Audacity. It was clunky at first, but I really grew to enjoy it. It made jumping to PT-10 really painless. PT-10 uses the Clip objects which is kind of similar in nature to the "Item" (IIRC) object model in Reaper. I never used PT8, so can't help with a compare.

The Rendering to mp3 shouldn't be that much more than doing a PT bounce. Well, at least after the initial setting up. I could be wrong. I'm working on old memory for that one. (Reaper, that is)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fauxfreshness)

I came upon this while searching for the same thing, and figured I'd add the simplest route if you don't have a DAW setup. I normally use Ableton Live 8, but I didn't load it onto this system as I thought a 64 bit version would exit beta for paid customers, but it became Live 9 instead. Since I'll be reloading this computer anyway, I figured I'd wait until I at least upgraded to MASCHINE 2.0.

In the meanwhile, I finally got a guitar and used it with Komplete Audio 6, and Guitar Rig Pro 5. If you happen to use the "Wide Rammfire" preset, you'll see a tape deck. It's counter intuitive to modern recording, but makes perfect sense when using old school decks. You basically hit the record (dot) button, and then the play (direction arrow) button to start recording. Once you're done, you hit the save (little floppy disk) button and save it somewhere you want. If you want to create an initial loop to play over, you should be able to add more decks and sync them, while recording on a final master track. You can then trim accordingly using other software like Audacity or whatever you're into.

Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@frankbiganski)

So are we saying that Ableton Live 9 will not allow you to record a live wet signal... it'll just allow you to record a dry signal, and then you can only apply the effects with GR5 in the mix?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I know this is an old thread but for the sake of clarification: Any Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) will allow you to record using the effect. It's a matter of setup. You want to monitor through the DAW and not direct monitoring from your input. This is sometime referred to as "end to end" monitoring.

However, the DAW does not actually record the effected signal. This is a plus since it means you can change the effect after you've recorded your track. What it requires though, is that your DAW be properly configured using low latency drivers. That means good ASIO or in the case of Pro Tools, WDM drivers. A third party driver like ASIO4all will work but you are better suited using the included driver for a proper audio interface.

Don't mess with cable adapters that allow you to plug your 1/4" guitar cable into a 1/8" mini plug. At the very least, go pick up a 1/4" to USB cable. Ideally you want a decent recording interface. A $100 investment that you will not regret. Likely the interface will include a lite version of some software.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

However, the DAW does not actually record the effected signal.
So the DAW records a dry guitar signal and applies Guitar Rig's patch on every subsequent playback until the track is rendered or printed? (term varies...) That sounds like one would also be able to get the benefit of re-amping, such as changing the patch to suit post tracking.

I use a different guitar processor at home that's pretty commonly used with Pro Tools, and that combo allows me to record wet, dry or both. Re-amping, of course, would only be possible if I bother to record dry.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

That's right. With most plug in effects, this is the case. Just like inserts or sends on a standard console, the effects only apply to the mix not to the media.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote