Skip to content
Personal Recorder (...

Notifications
Clear all

Personal Recorder (Zoom, Tascam,..) - Opinions?

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@alangreen)

Ah, well, that settles it then.

Drum tracks will have to be hand-crafted in E-Jay, just like they have been before.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 kiko
(@kiko)

so guys, which one is better? the tascam gt-r1 or the boss microBR? :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We haven't got enough members round here who have both, so it depends who you ask.

I found Hydrogen recently to do my drum tracks, as an alternative to E-Jay, and that's fairly easy to work with so I'm importing drum tracks to a Boss Micro BR.

The Tascam can't be bad IMHO, I have a 4-track tape-based Portastudio 414MKII here as well as a 24-track 2488MKII hard disc recorder and wouldn't be parted from either of them

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I bought a Zoom H2 this weekend. I like it so far, but I won't use it for it's intended purpose until tonight. I bought it mainly to record our band practices. I was planning on posting a review and some samples tomorrow, cause we are practicing tonight. Just in playing with the H2, I think it is going to be great. I set it up in front of me last night and played and sang Carolina Drama (Raconteurs) and listened back to it and it sounds excellent (the recording, definitely not the playing and singing :? ). It came with a 512Mb card, which won't be enough for what I want, but I already had a 1Gb and another 512Mb that I use with my camera, so I'll have plenty of space. With the 1Gb card, I can record almost 7 hours at 320Kbps MP3, so capturing our 2 hour practices will be no problem.

If you are looking at the Boss Micro BR, that's a bit of a different animal. It's more of a portable mixing desk. I will still do all my mixing/tracking/etc. in Reaper.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 kiko
(@kiko)

guys, does the microBR allow you to save a song/project you're currently working on and then edit it later? Or do you have to finish the song once you've started it and the only way to save it is to bounce it to a single track?

another question is can you load a play along/backing track mp3 and then play over it and record the outcome? (loading an mp3 and playing over it and recording the whole process)

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

guys, does the microBR allow you to save a song/project you're currently working on and then edit it later? Or do you have to finish the song once you've started it and the only way to save it is to bounce it to a single track?

I have a Micro Br and yes, you can save songs while you are working on them. You can back them up to a computer to via the usb. It looks like a removable drive to the computer.

When you save a song, it will save any custom drum tracks you configure and effects settings. I know others here import drums from other places but I use the on-board drums. I never use the prebuilt drum tracks, but use the drum track editor to build a custom track and save it with the song. Oh, I almost forgot, you can change the drum kit from about a half a dozen choices.

You can bounce to virtual tracks and you can master the final tracks and export those as .wav or .mp3 files. You can also record in .mp3 mode. I've used that to record my garage band practices on 2 tracks over several hours. I think it is a nice product, mine sees almost daily use. :wink:

Can it be improved? Of course it can. For example, It chews batteries, but I use Energizer rechargeables and just swap them out as needed. :idea: That works for me.

ReplyQuote
(@redstrat)
Eminent Member

BOSS BR 1600 BEST

ReplyQuote
(@marcmm)
Eminent Member

Hey,

Well, Im getting a Tascam DP-02. It's not too costly and friends say it can record fairly good, almost studio quality. It also can be hooked to the PC via USB. So it's kinda a replacement for my crappy sound card:). On the other hand it lacks built-in mic for live recording or acoustic recording.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2