Clear all

List of Audacity settings....

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi people, been a while since I've recorded anything. This is a fairly new laptop....downloaded Audacity, but everything I've tried to record sounds like it's being played through a fuzzy speaker covered in mud, if that makes any sense. Does anyone have a full list of the best settings (on preferences?) for Audacity? Bit rates, float rates, I really need to adjust those settings for some demos....

Thanks in advance,

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm not really sure Vic. When I used it it was pretty much plug and play. The guys here got me converted over to using Reaper. Free to evaluate for 30 days and then they apparently get you to pay for it with guilt. :lol: Could it be an issue with your mic level or input settings?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Haven't used Audacity in a long while. What do your waveforms look like? Do they look right or like blocks?

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Mine has:

Sample rate: 44100Hz
Sample format 32-bit float
Real time conversion: Fast sinc interpolation - No dither
High quality conversion: High quality sinc interpolation - Shaped dither

I've never changed any of these settings.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic, most laptops have a bult-in mike and speakers. Windows also has a recording software (in Accessories, I think). Try recording your voice via this route. It will tell you if the problem lies with audacity or the laptop.
If that is fuzzy, playing an mp3 will tell you if the speakers are OK.
Otherwise, that would leave the input path. If the voice recording through the standard software is OK, you can narrow the problem down to the Audacity settings or your connection between guitar and laptop.
Try recording your guitar, using the Windows recording software. May be laggy, but will tell you if the connection or Audacity is the problem.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote