Notifications
Clear all

Kinda lost on how to record directly off the amp

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@noobstring)
Topic starter  

Hi all, new here. I'm trying to find a digital audio interface to plug the output from my amp (a VOX AD30VT) but I'm a bit lost. Most guides I found recommend buying a microphone and connect it to the interface with an XLR cable. That's over my budget and wouldn't work anyway because I don't have a soundproof environment and I'd rather not include sounds from passing cars, whiny cats and aeroplanes. Are there any digital interfaces that have the standard 1/4" plug? Or am I missing something and I'd need some sort of preamp in between?

(@faith)

Hi there.
Don't know if this is any good for you? I go from my amps output to an itrack solo connected to my ipad and record to that . Then I can send to computers , phones , Facebook ,utube etc. Cheers Gary

ReplyQuote
(@noobstring)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting a scarlett solo instead (no ipad here). Records instrument line fine, only need to test the line out from my amp. Shame I can't get it to work under linux and all the focusrite freebies need windows 9 etc but it will do for now.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi all, new here. I'm trying to find a digital audio interface to plug the output from my amp (a VOX AD30VT) but I'm a bit lost. Most guides I found recommend buying a microphone and connect it to the interface with an XLR cable. That's over my budget and wouldn't work anyway because I don't have a soundproof environment and I'd rather not include sounds from passing cars, whiny cats and aeroplanes. Are there any digital interfaces that have the standard 1/4" plug? Or am I missing something and I'd need some sort of preamp in between?

This will do the trick for you.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha?adpos=1o2&creative=55225946401&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodFK8c3CTtRLAvFOzl8DiKSgqxpt2OaR0smjxlB0ZxLBoCVkDw_wcB

The line inputs can accept the line level output of the line/phone jack. Note that this will cut OFF the amp speaker, so you will have to monitor through speakers attached to the interface via the line outs, or through headphones.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@noobstring)
Topic starter  

This will do the trick for you.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha?adpos=1o2&creative=55225946401&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw1MSvBRDj2IyP-o7PygsSJAC_6zodFK8c3CTtRLAvFOzl8DiKSgqxpt2OaR0smjxlB0ZxLBoCVkDw_wcB

The line inputs can accept the line level output of the line/phone jack. Note that this will cut OFF the amp speaker, so you will have to monitor through speakers attached to the interface via the line outs, or through headphones.

Man, 49.95 would have been perfect instead of 100 for the Scarlett I got. Is the sound off of it as good as the Scarlett?

ReplyQuote
(@tonyfretless)

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting a scarlett solo instead (no ipad here). Records instrument line fine.....

Add to this that the new "second generation" Focusrite Scarlett kit is even better than previously.

I had the 18i6 for about 3 years. It died on me in July. Replaced on a good deal from Focusrite (who deemed the 18i6 beyond reasonable repair). I now have a second generation 18i8. Improvements over earlier model include even better overload headroom; lower noise; greater sensitivity on the instrument inputs whilst also having "even more" of the classic Focusrite sound than before.

If home studio really doesn't afford microphone work (I can understand this; there's a busy mainline railway track passing the far end of my garden!), then the instrument in of the Focusrite kit is an excellent option.

Should find, though, that a mic like the SM57 (or 545, or even the cheap (discontinued) Prolog 10) used close to the speaker in your amp should reject most external noise - those mics are designed only to pick up sound sources fairly close to them.

To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable! : Beethoven

ReplyQuote
(@tonyfretless)

Man, 49.95 would have been perfect instead of 100 for the Scarlett I got. Is the sound off of it as good as the Scarlett?

No.

To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable! : Beethoven

ReplyQuote