Skip to content
Just bought my yama...

Notifications
Clear all

Just bought my yamaha mg 10/2 analog mixer... what else?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nikkinik36)
Topic starter  

Ok, Just bought my first mixer with hopes of recording my music. I sing and play acoustic guitar. What all am I going to need? I'm pretty much don't know poop about what I'm doing, so any help you can give me would be amazing!

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Couple of starter questions.........

Do you have -

A mic for the vocals? (Condenser)
A mic for the acoustic? (Dynamic) - (or do you have an acoustic/electric)
XLR cable(s)?
A cable to get the music from the mixer to the computer? (usually an RCA to 1/8th)
A recording program?

ReplyQuote
(@nikkinik36)
Topic starter  

Couple of starter questions.........

Do you have -

A mic for the vocals? (Condenser)
A mic for the acoustic? (Dynamic) - (or do you have an acoustic/electric)
XLR cable(s)?
A cable to get the music from the mixer to the computer? (usually an RCA to 1/8th)
A recording program?

I don't have a condenser mic, but I do and a dynamic mic. I also have an electric acoustic but I lost the little plastic piece that you put the battery into :( I don't know what XLR cables are lol. I don't have a cable to get the music to the computer, and I don't have a recording progam, but I'm almost positive a couple of my friends who also have recording stuff would have some cables or maybe even a condenser mic I could borrow. Thank you so much for helping me.

Ok, so keep talking lol I'm going to need to learn as much as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@nikkinik36)
Topic starter  

Also, I don't actually have the mixer as we speak, I just bought it off ebay a couple hours ago.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

So, niknik, Do you have a computer with a recording program you plan on using (like CubaseLE) or have you perhaps decided to use a stand alone unit like the Fostex MR8 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR8-mkII-8Track-Digital-Recorder?sku=240343 ????????

If you don't currently have a recording program for a computer, the next question may be, how old is the computer you have. A newer computer should have the capacity to add a small recording program to get you started.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

you can download audacity as recording programme for your computer for free - think there's a link in one of nick's posts, if not just google Audacity. that'll get you started while you learn about recording techniques and whatnot. later, you can buy software if you find there's something better that suits your needs. but until you get started with some software, you wont have a clue about how to evaluate different purchase-necessary software.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

How long have you had the mixer? Can you return it? I'm sorry but a mixer is the last thing you need to record. Money would have been better spent on either a simple audio interface or a stand alone unit. With computers most of your mixing will be done in the box. Stand alone units have built in mixers.

There are plenty of audio interfaces out there for a little over $100.00. Many start at $99 from Musicians Friend. Many of these have software included.

As far as programs. Audacity is lacking in a serious way. PLEASE PEOPLE! IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED KRISTAL YET, DO SO NOW. Kristal is also FREE and supports ASIO and VST effects in REAL TIME. Which means you can audition your effects before you ever commit. There are litterally thousands of FREELY downloadable VST plugins.

Audacity does not allow for real time effects. Which means you have to "apply" effects without really hearing how it will affect your recording, with the exception of a very short preview. Audacity does not support ASIO drivers which is why people have problems with latency. Don't get me wrong. I use Audacity as a stereo editor and MP3 encoder but other than that, I use other software(Cubase, Samplitude, Tracktion 3, Acid Music Studio).

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@muchojackdaniels)

Return everything you have bought except the mics, if you have a computer.

ReplyQuote