Clear all

One of Us and Mad World

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi all. I've been playing about with a few more fingerpicking songs, they're far from perfect, but I hope you enjoy them. I'd appreciate any tips or criticisms.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

Posted : 13/10/2010 9:25 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

2 terrific songs. 8)
I thought you did a nice job with both.

California Dreaming: my nitpick would be the muting* early on. It's really quick/harsh; something with a little more subtlety would go a long way to maintaining the feel of the song

You've Got a Friend: You have a little stumble around the 40 sec mark, but overall it's really good. It has that lazy Hoagy Carmichael flavour that Randy Newman does so well. Nice interpretation. :)

* Edit: Just gave another listen. Maybe it's not muting. Maybe something went squirrelly when recording or with the soundclick upload?

Don

Posted : 22/10/2010 5:09 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening! I believe the muting is my poor attempt at the harmonics on the thicker strings. I hadn't really practiced the intro when I recorded this out, so lots to practice still. "You've got a friend" was just for fun as my little boy loves Toy Story. I'm working on the bridge and outro now.

Since I began these I also learned to play:
Alone - Heart
Mad World -Gary Jules?
One of Us - Joan Osborne

Plenty to be rotating around in my practice :) I'll try and post my covers of these shortly, they feel great to play.

Posted : 25/10/2010 2:55 pm
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

You're almost there on California Dream! Nice work so far. I like the arrangement. Can you share the tab?

-- Rob

Posted : 25/10/2010 3:19 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The tab I have is printed out and I don't remember where from.

I've recorded these two songs out tonight after work. I decided the quicker the better after I was playing it really well with beautiful dynamics earlier in the night, but take after take after take wore me down til the versions I had were worse than the earlier ones ???

Its annoying, but its still early days.  I learned these arrangements from a guy called Ulli whose tabs I found online.   Mad World only took a couple of hours last weekend, and One of Us was this weekend.  I think I should stop learning more and more songs and focus on what I've got so far (about 10 or more fingerpicking).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

Posted : 25/10/2010 9:21 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Very cool man!! Keep up the good work....next I want to hear complete songs! :twisted:

I play that Mad World Live, and the first time I played it, it got massively good reviews, an awesome arrangement for sure, although playing it does get a bit redundant LOL.

One of Us is your best in my opinion, hope you continue your fingerstyle playing!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/10/2010 6:08 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Kudos, Joe.
Loved Mad World.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 26/10/2010 5:00 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nicely played Kroikey! Great tone and recording. Smooth and clear.

Mad world... Mad world...

Posted : 31/10/2010 11:27 am