10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

finally, a demo song I can post...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1284042
here is Coulee Rock Invader's first demo song. we recorded in the bass players studio basement. it was all live and one take after setting mike and headphone levels. the recording was then mastered by me just now. I want to hear it played on all sorts of speakers; ie, car speaker, stereo hifi, boombox, crappy speaker etc...
I will load a few more songs. feedback and crit are welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 23/12/2012 5:25 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It sounds really good.

Nice guitar playing!

Posted : 23/12/2012 6:37 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

One take? I'm really impressed.

Renee

Posted : 23/12/2012 10:08 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Which one is the song you wrote about? I'm checking out the four, of course, but curious which was the basement tracked number.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/01/2013 2:22 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Which one is the song you wrote about? I'm checking out the four, of course, but curious which was the basement tracked number.
all of them Roy. I then took the that mix and ran it through a mastering software; ozone4.

Posted : 30/01/2013 2:40 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

all of them Roy. I then took the that mix and ran it through a mastering software; ozone4.
That's a good advertisement for the masterer and the mastering software. :D :D

The generalized "it all sounds great to me!" doesn't help you in the least bit and you've helped me so much along the way over the years. Soooooo A few thoughts and comments.

I started bottom and worked my way up. I found Carol and Little Sister to be the better of the four. It sounded like you guys owned these.

Little Sister vocals seemed to die in volume at the end of each phrase. I recognize it only because I do the same thing. Only you guys sing much better. :lol:

Honky Tonk didn't click for me until the bottom end came in for the chorus. I could tell the groove was there just because I know the song. It sounded like you missed the signature intro riff a bit, too. It felt a touch awkward.

Something didn't click with me on "who'll be next in line". When i got to the solo I figured it was just that it was limitations of the environment or something. The dynamics of the song didn't get as good as the playing on every instrument. It's weird, because you can hear things being played and you're thinking that it should be much more dynamic than it's sounding. My guess is that it sounded tons better live than it did tracked.

One thought on vocals. On Honky Tonk, when the lead vocals rang out "blues_______", it sounded flat and awkward. Other spots did too, but this is the easiest and most obvious one to identify. It's almost as if maybe a slight vibrato effect or something to add a bit of musicality to the drawn out phrases on that song might have helped some. Obviously a poor suggestion, but I was trying to figure out how to relay what I thought I heard.

Anyhow, all that practicing you guys have been doing is paying off big time. Almost everything is really well played. Reaaly, really good.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/01/2013 3:06 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Enjoyed the whole menu, Randy. Thanks for the listen.
'Oh Carol' was the standout for me. The guitar tone, not to mention the playing, was absolutely killer. Any light you can shed on your setup for that particular track would be much appreciated.
I get that you're looking to have a live off the floor feel for these, but I do agree with Roy that the vocals could use a little sweetening in post. For me, they're just a little lifeless next to the great playing.
:)

Don

Posted : 30/01/2013 7:24 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

hey thanks for the feedbacks.
we recorded in my bass players basement. we miked the amps. the drummer was in another room. we all had headphones on.
the bass player ran the recording and then sent me the mix. I wished the mix were better for many reasons. I could only work the mastering end.
sound levels on the tracks or instruments and vocals were not what I typically try for. I did not have control. I may try to look at the recording and see if i can tweak anything.
we had not practised in a month when we decided to record a few demo songs. we walked into this cold and I know it sounds that way.
my licks suck, the vocals could do several retakes( certainly after listening). timing is off at times. I want to do everything all over, but the band said 'good enuf'.
Little Sister is our kick off tune when we gig. I think it is an ok demo. Oh Carol is a new song. I think it has legs. I played a strat through a 1958 Gibson amp with the original 10" Jensen speaker. I used the neck pickup and played clean; overdriving the amp a touch.
the Kinks tune needs help on levels. and Honky Tonk is great live and is a riot to play. unfortunately this recording is off. again I was cold on the guitar.
I strive for perfection and never get there. I love working the tracks when I record my solo stuff at home. this time around I was a participant.
I hope we can impove things the next time. Your comments and constructive criticism is great. :note2:

Posted : 31/01/2013 3:20 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I was kind of thinking after my post that you probably didn't have that much control over the component level detail of the recording as you mentioned being charged with the Mastering functionality. I left the comments up anyhow as it was what I heard with my fresh to the project ears. I know people will hear things on mine that are so obvious to me only after having them pointed out.

I never would have guessed a month without practice. Way more spots on than off. 8) 8)

Roy

Posted : 31/01/2013 11:56 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member