1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.6 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Lars!

Well played. Smooth chord changes. Constant rhythm. It is time to jump to harder stuff :wink:

Are you lefty or did you use Photo Booth? I used it and I didn't see the image like in a mirror until I uploaded the video to YouTube!

Posted : 29/07/2010 1:32 pm
(@lars-christian)

Thanks Nuno, I appreciate it. And yeah, you're right, harder stuff is hopefully where I'm headed. In fact, that's one of the reasons I signed up here as well, but I'm saving it for the other thread I'm putting together right now!

And to answer your question, no, I'm definitely not a lefty, and I'm pretty sure it was mirrored on the get-go from PhotoBooth. If YouTube's mirroring your videos, that's very weird. I didn't think they did anything except compress and optimize the video for viewing on the web when you uploaded!

And if you could pull that rope just a little higher, we could dangle alone like a firefly.

Posted : 29/07/2010 10:42 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Lars, welcome to...the edge of the abyss....

Yup, got the open chords down nicely and you look comfortable.... shame the power grid was down though :roll:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 03/08/2010 3:05 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Mac!! That sounded awesome!!! Great job, nice tone from that guitar as well!!
Thanks Joe.

Instrumental version of Matisyahu's 'One Day'. Pretty happy because i played it completely by ear. I've begun improvising of late and i love it. :D
Phrasing could have been better in a few places. In fact i've played much smoother versions of it, but getting an error free run in front of the camera is tough :(
So this is the best effort in front of the camera. Would love feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_DmaY9tkSQ

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 16/08/2010 3:10 am
(@rchewning)

Here is my first attempt at recording myself. Been working with an instructor for about a month, and messing around by myself for about three months before that. Hope it's not too awful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmlyp9Kv-F8

Russ

Posted : 18/08/2010 1:50 am
(@dd61500)

Welcome to our little group, Russ.

And you say that you've only been at this for four months? Wow, that was far more advanced than ANYTHING I had attempted by that point. Have your fingers stopped aching yet? How great that you've found a good teacher. I look forward to seeing how you progress.

There were a few rough spots on the recording, but that's okay. You seem to have a good sense of rhythm. I might suggest that you slow it down a bit- the extra time will allow you to get a cleaner sound from your guitar. You can always speed it up again later. Or, you may try an alternate strumming pattern that doesn't fill in so much. Still, this is an excellent beginning. I hope you have fun with it!

Diana

Gott weiβ ich will kein Engel sein

Posted : 24/08/2010 4:55 pm
(@rchewning)

Thanks Diana!

The recording is pretty rough all around because it is a direct in from my guitar to my PC mic port, no pedal or anything..

My fingers still get a bit sore when I practice for more than a hour on the same chords shapes and whatnot. I have calluses building up, but when I practice the same chord shapes for a long time, I get a big depression right in the middle of the calluses that is a little sensitive when I practice for a long time.

I just downloaded Mixcraft and may try laying down separate tracks and fiddling around with the mix to get a better sound. I am going to try recording a loop of four verses and a chorus, and then to try to learn the lead guitar of the song to get something approximating a fully developed cover of the song.

Russ

Posted : 05/09/2010 4:56 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I just downloaded Mixcraft and may try laying down separate tracks and fiddling around with the mix to get a better sound. I am going to try recording a loop of four verses and a chorus, and then to try to learn the lead guitar of the song to get something approximating a fully developed cover of the song.

Russ, that's basically how I got better at lead guitar! I wanted to play guitar so's I could play not only the songs I loved, but to write and record my own songs as well. I'd been messing about with a few open chords for years till I joined GN; then I learned about chord construction and scales, so's everything I wrote didn't sound the same when set to music. From there, it was a small step to wanting to play EVERYTHING on my songs....so I took a similar path to you.

Downloaded Audacity first of all - then I'd find a drum track I liked on my keyboard, set it to the right tempo and record about 5 minutes of it. Then I'd play a I - IV - V (12-bar blues) rhythm guitar track over that....then I'd play it back, and improvise over the top of my backing track. I found that (1) it was amazing how quickly I could lose a couple of hours just playing over the same track and that (2) my lead playing improved in leaps and bounds! I also found that playing the 12-bar blues shuffle over the drum track improved my chord changes and my timing a heck of a lot.

So I'd say, mess around with mixcraft - don't be afraid to improvise, though. It's a small step from playing covers to wanting to write your own music, and then to writing lyrics. Try fooling around with some random chords; find a riff or pattern you like, then try improvising over the top of that.

Good luck!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/09/2010 9:43 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

The Elton John song I'm learning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgmWBx8pac

Posted : 26/09/2010 7:24 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Long time no see you, Lady! I hope you are doing well.

Sad song. You did a good job!

Posted : 27/09/2010 8:03 pm
(@taver)
Trusted Member

Here's my version of Green days Time of your life......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhXgRKobGI

One day !!
http://www.soundclick.com/taver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhXgRKobGI

Posted : 07/10/2010 5:49 am
(@lars-christian)

Hello gang! Long time, no see.

I've been around, mostly just watching these here neck of the woods for tips, tricks and inspiration, and now I'm back with another video. I thought after the last one, I should wait until I had some sort of progress to show when I posted another, and that's why I went with this one. It's more or less the first song I've gotten a good grip on that's finger picked. Song is called Love, Come Save Me (original), and it's by one of my favourite artists, Andy Hull, performing here under the stage name of Right Away, Great Captain! and also known as the front man of Manchester Orchestra.

Here is my rendition of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4o6bRB6MI

I know, I know, still a long way to go! Other than that, I've also finally learned a few songs that I am able to sing along with (only took me a year or two of practice), but I'm not quite at the point where I feel comfortable enough to post something like that online :lol:

Anyways, I watched through all of the new videos that were posted since the last time I checked, and all I've got to say is keep rocking!

Bad Moon Rising after a few months? That's pretty awesome!

Playing along with Matisyahu? Sweet! I hope I get to that level one day.

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word? Wow, you've come such a long way since the early videos (I went through pretty much the whole thread), stick at it!

And Green Day? You're an artist already, voice and all, not to mention the guitar that sounded flawless to me.

And if you could pull that rope just a little higher, we could dangle alone like a firefly.

Posted : 01/11/2010 10:55 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Lars.... and all you other beginners out there in beginners land....

It's nice to see that the thread keeps rambling on a journey that will never reach it's destination. Profound, nah, just a couple of glasses of red wine and foul weather that's keeping me off the golf course... :roll:

Lars, everything comes to he who waits (and practices religiously, of course) and you are doing a grand job! :wink:

I sorta miss making beginners videos but just can't seem to find the time nowadays, and they really are still beginners videos. Anyways, i'm off to practice my slow blues in E and some really dodgy Christmas songs just in case we're snowed in and there's only repeats on the box....

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 05/12/2010 4:32 pm
(@imjohnmoore)

Hi gang -- my second video of an e blues this time with actual video of your truly :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OBHQWb4Ak

Thanks,
John

Posted : 07/12/2010 4:39 pm
(@kelly)
Eminent Member

great work everyone! Im very new (2weeks) into learning guitar and cannot play a song yet, but watching these gives me inspiration to keep learning!

problem is i cannot play Isabelle's videos..it takes me to a photobucket sign up and asks for a password. I can see the imbedded part in the thread but its when i click on it is when it takes me to photobucket.

~Excuse Me If I Have Someplace In My Mind, That I go From Time To Time~

Posted : 09/12/2010 3:59 am
Page 69 / 73