Clear all

Beginner's sound clips

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just so no one feels left out if they can't make videos, here is a place to post beginner "in progress" sound clips for the purposes of showing that everyone makes mistakes, has same questions, frustrations, etc. ;)

Here are mine to start:

Dust in the Wind
- yesterday (first day)
- today (with verses)

Posted : 07/10/2007 11:56 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Peejay, you rock. You passed the test, you can be in our band :lol:

I swear some bits actually sound like the original...

Thanks for sharing. If we could both get our timing right - and other things, like picking the right notes for a start, we could have a duet ;)

Posted : 10/10/2007 4:18 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Peejay, you rock. You passed the test, you can be in our band :lol:
I'm not sure if that's a compliment (I passed a test! :D ) or an insult (I sound bad enough to be in the beginner-band :twisted: ) but I guess either one is good. ;)
Thanks for sharing. If we could both get our timing right - and other things, like picking the right notes for a start, we could have a duet ;)
Alright, I'll work on the notes, you work on timing, and we'll do great! :mrgreen:

I picked up my camera to attempt a recording, and it said "No memory card" followed immediately by "Change the batteries"... :roll:

So, once they charge up I'll see if I can get something recorded.

Posted : 10/10/2007 7:37 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Okay, here's a piece of Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) that I worked on tonight. I think I spent only about an hour and a half with the tab before trying to record. I used fingerpicking because I'm not very good at pickpicking (?) yet.

listen here

I like it because it's like an easier version of Dust in the Wind. ;)

And really it sounds (a little) better when the nerves of recording aren't there. :lol:

Posted : 12/10/2007 12:41 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Only an hour and a half? Sounds v good already.

I'll give it a try.

Posted : 12/10/2007 6:54 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Peejay, your video rocks! But where is your face? :P
I am doing my videos on a cheaper digital camera that just happens to record video and sound.

.. feel I am missing something here ... is Dust in the Wind the all-time song #3 (right after House of the Rising Sun and Horse with No Name) for all learning guitarists the world over?
I guess it is on my "list of songs to learn in my lifetime" but would not classify this as a beginner song just cuz most people have a certain note-for-note version in their head that is hard to live up to (as a complete beginner).
My 2nd or 3rd song as a complete novice was Midnite Special (basic E/A/B7 8 bar blues)... you pick a line of the (simple )melody on the two highest strings and then strum like mad for the next bar ... bonus: if you have to pause between every bar it still sounds OK. :D

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 12/10/2007 3:55 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

.. feel I am missing something here ... is Dust in the Wind the all-time song #3 (right after House of the Rising Sun and Horse with No Name) for all learning guitarists the world over?
It's the all-time song #3 for all learning guitarists that have watched Dylan's video, I think. ;)
My 2nd or 3rd song as a complete novice was Midnite Special (basic E/A/B7 8 bar blues)... you pick a line of the (simple )melody on the two highest strings and then strum like mad for the next bar ... bonus: if you have to pause between every bar it still sounds OK. :D
Sounds worth a try. :D

Posted : 12/10/2007 4:38 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Keep in mind I only started this one tonight. :oops:

song recommended by stellabloo

I think I should've clipped out a few gaps of silence, but oh well. :lol:

(Oh and for reference, that's an absolute first take recording. None of the usual do-overs. :o )

Posted : 17/10/2007 3:24 am