Clear all

A Brighter Shade of Grey

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My last attempts were apparantly not fully succesfull but this time I'm convinced I've done it: I present to you all a pop song. No synths, electronic beats, distorted vocals, weird time signatures or bizarre modulations, this is a pop song in Am with verses and chori! I hope people like it, it took some time putting it together like this. Thanks for listening and comments very much appreciated as always!

http://www.box.net/shared/sz0y7y7ks4
A Brighter Shade of Grey

I knew who a girl
Who wasted all her time
Dreaming of a brighter shade of gray
But she never found the answers he sought
As her life turned darker
With each passing day

Why you never called for help
When you saw the life you'd have
If you stumbled all along on your own
with nobody waiting for you
At home

I knew a boy
Who lost his mother as a child
He always tried to find her back
But the more he looked for those he'd lost
The less he looked at you
With all his broken promises
Hanging in the air

Why you never asked for help
When you saw the past you'd have
If you stumbled all along on your own
with nobody waiting for you
At home

Posted : 11/06/2008 12:50 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've noticed the last few years I've become a sucker for Romance movies . . .
especially if they are Comedy/Romance. I think I've watched Pretty Woman about 3 times.
This would make an excellent theme song for the tearjerker scene in that type of movie.
This really mellowed me out.
I'm sitting on the patio watching the sunset (behind a large thunderhead) . . . very peaceful.

You made a mistake in the lyrics.
But she never found the answers she sought
I really like the lyrics in that first stanza.
Dreaming seems to be the theme today. Just posted comments on Chris C's lyrics about a Dreamer.

Thanks, Arjen. Beautiful song.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 11/06/2008 5:57 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Ken. I had that kind of 'Hollywood melodrama' sound in my head, espescially with that string section sweeping in. As for the lyrics: this is a prime example of why I shouldn't write them out. :D The way I see the song (or atleast what's it about, to me) is that she wasn't looking for the answers of her own questions or problems. There are four 'perspectives' (you, she, he, and 'I' from the storyteller's perspective) but only two persons, who are connected in the 'you vs I' chorus but who are seen getting more and more distant from each other in the 'he vs she' verses.

But everyone should interpretate at wish. The phrase you refer to can be heared as both 'he' and 'she', so if you like the story better as 'she' then use that. :D

Posted : 11/06/2008 11:19 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

well this is a proper pop song. Barry Manilo and Rod Stewart would cover it. that is no insult. they play that genre well.
this is not my favorite stuff typically. I think you did fine. I do prefer your previous to this however.
this song has a great hook in it. very tasteful.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 12/06/2008 10:54 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks man. I have absolutely no idea who Barry Manillo is but I know Rod Stewart well and I'll take that as a compliment. :D And don't get me wrong, I like my 'own style' (whatever that is) better then this, but it's fun to try something (for me) new. But don't expect me to fill a cd with this kind of music. :P

Posted : 12/06/2008 11:24 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

very much reminds me of some snow patrol or some of the better radiohead stuff. just listening to it now at work. good stuff.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 12/06/2008 11:27 am
(@skinny)

Hauntingly wonderful....Excellent production.

Posted : 14/06/2008 10:28 am
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Arjen 8)

Awsome!

Really dug the musical arrangement on this.
Great job.

My only criticism on the production (if you care to hear it) is with the backing vocal in the earlier verses;
The - AaaaaahhhhhAhhhhhh'ing....
I at first took that to be a 'buzzing' in the mic.
And even after I figured that it was backing vocals, still seemed a bit off to me.
Maybe with a bit more 'definition' it would sound better....?

The later verses didn't have it, and I (personally) liked just having the singing out front like that.
JMO :wink:

I did 'get' the whole 'she never found the answer he sought' bit right off.

I don't think you need to fill a whole CD with this kind of stuff....
I think it would make a nice last song on a CD filled with your 'own style' (whatever that is? :wink: )
Sort of round it out, and give the listeners a break from the other stuff while showcasing your versatility as well.

Again,
Great Job!
I really enjoyed it.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 14/06/2008 12:35 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ken, thanks for listening and commenting. As for the backing vocals, something went radically wrong during the production of it, there are literally holes cut in it all over the place making it sound buzzy and raw instead of soothing and round. It's a long story but anyway, if I want to keep them in I'll eventually have to redo them. I'm not sure yet if I want them in or not but I'll take a few more closer listens to it. Thanks again!

Posted : 15/06/2008 2:22 pm