When?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How do I know when it's time to replace the strings? These string have been on here since the begining of the year and I only practice about 45 minutes a day,,,, ok so I miss a day here and there :mrgreen: .
The strings still hold tune and they still sound ok.

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I remember a recommendation of a member, he said "40 days or 40 hours playing".

I change the strings when they don't keep the tone, when some zones (where you play more frequently) aren't "smooth" (sorry, I don't know how to describe) or when I break a string. Usually it is much more than 40 days or 40 hours.

I always change all the six strings.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Do you tune with an electronic tuner? When my strings need changing, I notice that the tuner sweep arm/led readout becomes very erratic when trying to tune & settle on the note. A fresh set of strings clears it right up!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I probably don't change mine nearly enough out of lazyness but ... yes....... When they feel stiff and or rough, sound like crap and won't stay in tune.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I probably don't change mine nearly enough out of lazyness but ... yes....... When they feel stiff and or rough, sound like crap and won't stay in tune.
I have hard enough time keeping up with 1/2 the collection size that you have, string wise. I even keep a crude spreadsheet and hope I remember to make entries. :roll:

To offer my two cents to EMT's original post, I go about it inconsistently. If the tone gets muffled and the string cleaning doesn't take care of it, it's replacement time. It's harder to detect on my Epi LPs, but it still happens.

I also get a rare bad string from time to time. I'll replace the whole set at that point.

The worst offender for the muffled tone is my PRS SE with the Strat style trem. Every three months or so. I noticed just last night that it was starting it's routine of being a PITA to keep in tune while playing. I'll hold out for another week or two so that I can give her a good set-up if needed. (Crazy weather changes.)

The flat wounds on my Ibanez GAX-70 lasted for 14 months. I didn't note why I felt I had to replace them. I'm thinking it was tone or something that started messing up.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My son's fretless bass guitars have strings with a plastic coating. I think they will last forever. What I tend to do with my collection is just change strings on a few at a time. I play them mostly until I tire of them then restring the ones i think I might want to start using instead, so it is really like only having 4 or 5 guitars instead of 20 something. This also provides a great comparison of new to old strings.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

How do I know when it's time to replace the strings? These string have been on here since the begining of the year and I only practice about 45 minutes a day,,,, ok so I miss a day here and there :mrgreen: .
The strings still hold tune and they still sound ok.

On my #1 and #2 gig axes, it's every 7 - 10 days or so. They'll see 8 to 16 hours of hard playing every week each, plus time spent practicing and noodling outside of rehearsals and gigs. One the rest, probably 3 weeks or so. I love bulk string sales.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

If your using standard non coated strings then I would recommend approx every 4 weeks.
For beginners or those who are terrified at the thought of having to change strings I would highly recommend investing in coated strings such as EXP,Elixirs or Stainless Steel electric Strings as they really do last longer.If your going to keep the same strings on for 6 months then you may as well spend the extra on a decent set.

I currently use D'Addario EXP on my acoustic and GHS Infinity Steel on my Electrics.They cost about twice as much but they hold they tone twice as long.I still change them once a month but its worth it for the extra tone life.My sweat tends to be a bit on the corrosive side so a set of Ernie Balls was only lasting a week or two before having to be replaced.

Cheers

Bob.
I

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I change mine when they either sound bad, or break.

This is a longer period that most recommend, but as long as they're sounding good, feeling good...why spend the money.

Of course, I have fairly heavy hands and a floyd rose. So it´s never THAT long until the break. Every 2-3 months...

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I just put a se on last night on to my ESP/LTD with the Floyd Rose. I got it used and they ould have ued 'em then. I'm pretty certain that it was '08 that I got it. No idea how old the strings were. I will say that despite how corroded they were, I still liked them better than hour one of the new ones.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote