Clear all

Unglueing a bolt on neck?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarfun)
Topic starter  

Hello all,

Thought I would try a forum to see if anyone might know the answer. The backround is I recently purchased a guitar that has a bolt on neck set up and went to take it apart so I could refinish the body. I have taken many guitars apart so this isnt new to me. This neck appears to have been glued or epoxied in by someone prior to myself as I can't budge it at all. Does anyone know of anyway I can get these apart WITHOUT ruining the neck or the body. I saw someone use steam to get a set neck out, but the steam ended up twisting the neck and I certainly dont want that. Any advice is appreciated! Oh, and I live in a small town and we don't have a luthier around as far as I know.

Thanks

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that your problem is the type of adhesive used. If it's been done by a luthier, there's a good chance that heat will soften the glue.

If it's been done by an amateur, you may need a small, localised nuclear explosion to shift it.

It's no more than a suggestion, but if the back-plate and the bolts are still in situ, I'd guess at an amateur. If the back-plate has gone and the bolt-holes have been filled, I'd guess at a luthier.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@guitarfun)
Topic starter  

Back plate and screws were still being used as well. Im guessing amateur also. I really wanted to redo this body properly without trying to mask off the neck, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

As was said, a lot depends on the glue used. If it was a normal guy doing it Im better your out of luck. Most normal glues that would hold something like that are TOUGH to get apart!! if possable to at all. can you see any of the glue? Are you sure its glued and not just the finish sticking the two together??? Frankly if its some over the counter glue used, Im think you can save the body, or the neck, but probably not bolth.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Skipping all the questions the way I would remove the neck is a introducing steam into the joint via a small hole. I have always gone through a fret slot but you could probably drill a pin hole where the neck plate would be. Mark off the bit at the depth of the neck pocket obviously. You should have to seal the bolt holes. Then you'll need to construct a push/pull cull to lash the neck to as the body is slowly pushed away. Stewmac.com for some tutorials and Idea's.
A capaccino machine with a built in milk steamer is ideal. Shouldn't be a huge deal if they used hide glue or wood glue or anything a logical human would use to glue wood to wood.
BTW, moses and zon have used bolted and glued necks in the past so it might not be some closet screwball, it may have been intended.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarfun)
Topic starter  

How would you recommend sealing the bolt holes?

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Parafin wax.

ReplyQuote