Clear all

tuner implosion -- question

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This morning when I went to restring my acoustic, I noticed the tuning peg was very loose as I undid the string -- so loose, in fact that it lifted out of the tuner entirely.  When I applied some gentle pressure to try to get it to reseat, the bottom of the tuner fell out.

My guess is I've got to replace the tuner(s).  Anyone got an idea how expensive that might be?  I won't be able to get it down to the shop until tomorrow after work.  I'm just wondering about a ball park figure.

I might also have some fret wires replaced.  

Am I looking at major repairs here?  Is it time to trade in?

Thanks.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

(@daria)
Trusted Member

I checked it out at musician's friend and the price for one ranges from $10 to $13, a set goes from $30 to $80. Hope this helps.  ;)

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a site with parts and prices listed.  

International Luthiers Supply, Inc.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, everyone.

Is it unheard of for a tuner to implode like this, or does wear eventually cause them to break down?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't expect a good make (like Grover) to do that, but nothing is perfect and it can happen.

Be sure to get a good replacement. Don't forget to check the screw holes and capstan diameter, if you don't go with the original make.  You don't want old screw holes showing through, nor do you really want to have to ream out the capstan holes unless it's really necessary.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just got back from the shop.  Fortunately, it appears I don't need a new tuner.  He reassembled it.  As you said, Greybeard, anything can happen.  Apparently the screw holding the inner mechanism together had worked itself loose.  Ah, how I love simple repairs.

Why do these things always happen on Sundays when the shop's closed?

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

Tim

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

At least you have a second guitar.  When something goes wrong with mine I have to wait to drop it off on Wednesdays or Saturdays and may not get it back for 4 days!  Maybe that's a good reason to act on GAS and get another guitar.  Like "just-in-case" insurance.   ;)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You betcha!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Yeah, One of the screws started coming loose on the tuner of my electric, fortunately I noticed it before it imploded, and managed to fix it. I feel I was rather fortunate, because, had I lost it, I'm sure I would have lost one of the small but vital parts...

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote