Notifications
Clear all

Straight Neck?

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@slash75)
Topic starter  

I have a Les Paul Studio that has been sitting for a few years. Recently getting back into it.
It doesn't seem to be playing as well as it used to and I would like to straighten the neck to see if that helps.
It looks pretty close to me but I am no expert. Can anyone tell me from the photo below if this needs to be straightened or not? I have a set of light gauge strings on it currently (9-42).

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak6Z9f6YtvHXkz2K9a4PvlENApyN

(@musicus)
Eminent Member

No, there's no way to tell from the photo, sorry. The general non-technical way to find out is to lower the action until you get string buzzes at any of the frets, and if the action is too high it MIGHT be fixed with truss rod adjustments, but don't do it yourself if you don't really know how. Take it to a shop.

"Well, I hope the neighbors like THIS song!"

ReplyQuote
(@matthewwensor21)

My 2002 LP has a slightly twisted neck, strangely though it has no effect on the playability or tuning (yet) so Im going with the 'If it aint broke, don't fix it' analogy.

Mattie, UK based session guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/teacher-database/

ReplyQuote
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

The way I was taught to sight a neck is to lay the body of the guitar on a flat surface like a work bench and lift the neck to a 45 degree angle, look at the neck at the edges directly down the fretboard. it takes some practice and looking at a few different necks to see if you have any issues with twist or bowing. however it is the easiest way to check.

You said it sat for a few years, did you change strings? and how much of "its not playing as good as it used to is just rust your knocking off"

If your uncomfortable with performing adjustments to the trussrod or perfoming intonation bridge adjustments feel free to stop by your local music shop alot of guys do a complete setup for around 50 dollars.

ReplyQuote
 JR88
(@jr88)

The Beater Douglas/Agile 7 and that 26"ish stupid scale, literally plays better than shit Iv'e seen for wayyyy more. Cleaned up the torn up neck pocket and polished/leveled the Frets some, put a better pickup in the bridge, I need to get a real Floyd for it though. And it needs rewired a bunch shit I was trying.

I don't know got rid of and threw out a bunch of stuff over the years, and the house got robbed and broke into Lol.

ReplyQuote
(@murtii)

Ive recently bought a new indonesian jackson and it seems to have a slight elevation in its neck throughout on the high e side. Although it doesnt affect the playability or even cause a fret buzz but the nut also seems to be set in an inclined manner and you can also see the same side of fret board elevated around half a MM from pickups to nut. Please advice on it

ReplyQuote
(@timtheshredder)

Can't tell from the photo. Here a trick to see how straight it is.

Put a capo on the first fret and hold the 6th string down on the 12th fret. Look at the distance between the string and the frets. Is there a gap or a bow?

Repeat this at the 15th and 21st frets.

This trick effectively turns your strings into a straight edge.

Good luck!

My Gear:
LP Custom Sunburst
SG Reissue
1960 Clapton LP Reissue
Fender Strat '57 Reissue
And many more...

"Learning to play guitar is easy. Learning to Rock 'n Roll is another thing."

-Jack Black

ReplyQuote
(@dessdes)

I have a Les Paul Studio that has been sitting for a few years. Recently getting back into it.
It doesn't seem to be playing as well as it used to and I would like to straighten the neck to see if that helps.
It looks pretty close to me but I am no expert. Can anyone tell me from the photo below if this needs to be straightened or not? I have a set of light gauge strings on it currently (9-42).

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak6Z9f6YtvHXkz2K9a4PvlENApyN

You said it sat for a few years, did you change strings? and how much of "its not playing as good as it used to is just rust your knocking off"

If your uncomfortable with performing adjustments to the trussrod or perfoming intonation bridge adjustments feel free to stop by your local music shop alot of guys do a complete setup for around 50 dollars.

ReplyQuote