Clear all

Static Popping with my Tele

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an American Std Tele (white). The last few weeks I have had a popping noise when I strum. I have researched it and I am led to believe that it is due to static electricity between me and the pickguard. Does anyone know of a solution for this?

I have heard some involving anti-static dryer sheets or spray but that seems temporary at best. The guitar also humms a bit would shielding it fix the popping as well as reduce the hum?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

same problem on my Lite Ash Tele. I ended up putting copper tape shielding on the backside of the pickguard, and connecting it to the switch plate. It helped some, but there is still some popping.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have an American Std Tele (white). The last few weeks I have had a popping noise when I strum. I have researched it and I am led to believe that it is due to static electricity between me and the pickguard. Does anyone know of a solution for this?

I have heard some involving anti-static dryer sheets or spray but that seems temporary at best. The guitar also humms a bit would shielding it fix the popping as well as reduce the hum?

The only thing I've found that works consistently is using dryer sheets and/or avoiding low humidity environments that encourage static buildup in your body. I just keep a couple of sheets in my cases for when they're needed. Only takes about 10 seconds for a wipedown.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,

I didn't have any dryer sheets last night but I did try some "Static Guard" which comes in a spray can. I put some on a cloth and gave it a a rub. No popping. It does seem to get a lot of hum etc though. I may look into shielding the guitar. Which seems like a lot of work. Any suggestions? Is it easier with mettallic paing or foil or tape etc.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

you can buy adhesive copper tape at stew-mac.com.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Gnease. If I can't find any local supply I will order some.

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I found some copper tape at Lee Valley Tools Slug repellant of all things.
It took about 2 hours for me to line the pickup cavities and control cavity with copper and do a little soldering. It was kind of fun too.

Results: There is still some humm unfortunatly no miracles. However it does not get worse when things like my humidifier is on like it used to. It does not make modem like noises anymore and I haven't heard any popping like noises. Prior to the shielding if I put my guitar on the stand near the humidifier it was really really loud now I don't even have to shut it off. I think the guitar tone has changed a little too. Is this to be expected?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if you added shielding very close to a pickup, there may be some parasitic (undesired or unintended) capacitance created from the coils to ground. that can roll off the highs a bit, and you might end up losing a bit of the high-end sparkle. to improve or recover, you can cut back some of the shielding to leave a bit of additional space between it and the pup.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm. I just stuck the foil to the inside of the cavity. Would that be too close. One of them (the bridge I think was big enough for a humbucker) but the copper is not all that close to the pickups. The guitar still sounds good I jsut adjusted the amp a little. After a couple of days I have to say that the reduction in hum is a little disappointing. I have been reading (again) and I understand that my amp may be a little on the er hummy side. It is a super champ xd.

The upside or at least additional side effect is that I know want to start tinkering with buying a guitar and doing some modifications on it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if it's 60 Hz (50 in some countries) or harmonics thereof (e.g. 120) then the coupling mechanism is magnetic in most situations. shielding -- unless done with very specialized materials -- is virtually useless against low-frequency, magnetically-coupled hum sources such as your amp's power transformer and house wiring. humbuckers were designed to fight that situation. the shielding you've added will help protect against electric field emissions, spark discharge sources and higher frequency RF, examples of which are florescent light discharge (in the tube itself, but not flor. light ballast transformers, those are magnetic), DC electric motors with commutator/brushes and AM radio stations … oh yeah, and GSM/GPRS cell phones.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I found some copper tape at Lee Valley Tools Slug repellant of all things.
It took about 2 hours for me to line the pickup cavities and control cavity with copper and do a little soldering. It was kind of fun too.

Results: There is still some humm unfortunatly no miracles. However it does not get worse when things like my humidifier is on like it used to. It does not make modem like noises anymore and I haven't heard any popping like noises. Prior to the shielding if I put my guitar on the stand near the humidifier it was really really loud now I don't even have to shut it off. I think the guitar tone has changed a little too. Is this to be expected?

Did you ground the foil?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yup I ground the foil. Live and Learn I guess.
I guess I need an additional guitar now.

Gnease can you contact my wife and tell her why I need a PRS? She never believes me.

ReplyQuote